Oak pellets

Yea, they recently stopped carrying Traeger Grills Oak, so I actually drove around my town to buy all the left over. 🤣🤣

They told me Lowe's carry them time to time, so that's my only hope after 8 bags...

I have an experience of using non-oak, like mesquite, which worked okay. Hickory or Pecan doesn't seem to ferment properly good enough. Hickory seemed hard to retain moisture. Somewhat drooling, but substrate was felt like not getting wet... Post Oak needed a lot of work, as Post Oak itself is known to not decade, which is why it is used for furnitures... So far, Mesquite was the best alternative I ever had than oak. Mesquite worked pretty okay for me. Able to got eggs from various scarab species, reared, reached adulthood without any problem.

I have used Lumber Jack Oak Pellets and Traeger Oak pellets for years and they seem about the same. You can get Lumber Jack Oak pellets on Amazon. 

Lumber Jack 20-Pound Bag, 100% Oak Wood BBQ Grilling Pellets

I've used random "Hardwood Pellets" for years with good luck, however I've never had the chance to compare to oak because I've never seen oak pellets at the local Lowes, Ace, Home Depot, Farmer's Supply, etc.

I just ordered a few campchef oak from HD but it will take me a long time to see if it is better or worse. The problem with general hardwood is some work better than others but by the time I figure out one is great they're selling a different brand.

On 7/18/2021 at 10:58 PM, Fire Moth said:

Not sure what type of hardwood theses are but look at the price.   $5.79 for 40lbs.  Can be pickup at Lowe's

Those are fuel pellets, not grill pellets - that's why the price is so low.  I wouldn't risk using them for making substrate.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:32 AM, Fire Moth said:

Thanks for the information

The thing about grill pellets is that they're "food grade" - since they're intended for cooking rather than heating, they don't have the potential for any harmful impurities.  Some varieties of fuel pellets might possibly be free of contaminants, but it's almost impossible to know.  In any case, fuel pellets might also contain some percentage of coniferous wood such as pine.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I use Bear Mountain oak pellets. It's relatively inexpensive for a 20Ib bag. The quality is fantastic, too. I buy it off Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07NHZ57MF/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2LA3R74TUKXEY&psc=1

718DeC0o9KL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.webp