Dynastes tityus

Goliathus

A couple of nice Dynastes tityus males that I had emerge today - huge size, and with great horn development; some of the best examples of this species that I've ever produced.  They took around 14 months to go from eggs to adult emergence - 

tityus_01.jpg

tityus_02.jpg

I think I might have missed the record by less than 2 mm.  I've seen a super-exceptional 70.75 mm tityus, but don't know if this species is able to exceed that.  In any case, anything between 65-70 mm can be considered an exceptional size for tityus.  Over the years, I've produced many 60-65 mm specimens, but the 66-69 mm range have been considerably fewer in number.  This seems to be the way it is with a lot of beetle species; there's an "average" maximum size, and then anything beyond that only constitutes a quite small percentage of a population.  This happens both in the wild and in captive rearing.

11 hours ago, Fire Moth said:

According to this site 

http://discoverybeetles.com/日本be-kuwa-guiness-record-兜蟲2019/

美東白兜 69.5 佐原和宏 2015

There is a photo in For the Love of Rhinoceros and Stag Beetles (3rd edition) on p. 150 of a 70.75 mm tityus male (reared by a hobbyist in Taiwan).

On 4/27/2021 at 6:17 PM, Goliathus said:

A couple of nice Dynastes tityus males that I had emerge today - huge size, and with great horn development; some of the best examples of this species that I've ever produced.  They took around 14 months to go from eggs to adult emergence - 

tityus_01.jpg

tityus_02.jpg

Are those your stock?

On 5/4/2021 at 7:21 PM, Dynastes said:

Are those your stock?

They look like 25 years of selective breeding (1995 yellow stock) and a much better breeder than I (my biggest of that stock was 67).

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, markjfisher said:

These are absolutely incredible! When you get individuals of this size, what do you do with them? Do you keep them as breeding stock, or "preserve" them as fresh as possible? Absolutely phenomenal job here. 

Many thanks!  I'll occasionally save a really exceptional one (usually males) as a preserved specimen, but generally, not until after they've mated a few times.  That way, I can keep the best genes flowing in the culture, and get some nice specimens as well.