Megasoma vogti question

On 7/10/2021 at 9:40 AM, Beetlesforlife3 said:

Here and there I've heard of people getting them I just don't think it's a whole lot of breeders getting them its more people collecting for fun or pinning.

99% of the beetle hobby here is just people collecting for fun, even the stuff for sale. Sleeperi and punctulatus are just the rare hobbyist offering some extras, but I've never ever seen vogti offered by anyone. Still, maybe someone else has seen them for sale? I only ask because there is vogti money chewing a hole in my pocket but it may be in the same pocket as the money to buy a unicorn.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:06 AM, DynastesDee said:

Why is Megasoma vogti is not in the hobby, when it’s the most common US Megasoma species?

Because there is not much in the part of TX that they come from, the hobbyists who have them tend to sit on them (not sell them, or in one case - only sell to Japan), and the people who know where they are don't share any of the information.

I've driven down to that part of TX, setup a lights and came back with nothing. Have offered to buy from multiple people and also have asked several people for hints on where to look.. nothing yet (it's been years).

Many more people (including myself) collect south of Tucson at well-known locations that are on public land and are easy to get to - and also in the time of year when all the other inverts are out. M.v., on the other hand, is found in the fall.

On 7/10/2021 at 8:14 PM, DynastesDee said:

To everyone that is trying to find Megasoma vogti. Frass at the bottom of large mesquite trees. Warm temperatures above freezing, all year long are good indicators to find them.

The issue is the lack of public land down there. I went down last year and ended up not lighting up bc of the lack of good sites. Went to west Tx the next day to do the Davis 

On 7/10/2021 at 7:43 PM, JunkaiWangisme said:

The issue is the lack of public land down there. I went down last year and ended up not lighting up bc of the lack of good sites. Went to west Tx the next day to do the Davis 

Did you find anything in Davis? We are heading out there in a few weeks.

On 7/10/2021 at 9:15 PM, Beetle-Experience said:

Did you find anything in Davis? We are heading out there in a few weeks.

Chrysina woodi, glorisa, and Xylocrates I think. Would you be able to collect other inverts? I'm very interested in purchasing heros and various other inverts from there if you sell :). 

@JunkaiWangisme @Beetle-Experience
I went to Davis Mountains last year.. (UV trapping at one location only two nights straight) Found Chrysina gloriosa, was little late for C. woodi, found lots and lots of non-insect inverts with Alan, just outside tent.. lol. Found a single male of Xyloryctes thestalus. It was a dry season, with no water stream at all, everything was kinda dried out, and dying from low humidity, so it wasn't the best time of the year. No records of Megasoma vogti was even there when I researched ahead of trip. (actually couple weeks early for M. vogti too). I can't remember the name of place, but there was a protected area near Davis where M. vogti has been recorded multiple times. (look up either iNaturalist or BugGuide!) I tried to contact their office hoping I could access there, since overnight camping as well as hunting is allowed (in hunting season), but..... The office closed an hour earlier than posted office hours, so never even had a chance.

On 7/12/2021 at 1:04 AM, JKim said:

@JunkaiWangisme @Beetle-Experience
I went to Davis Mountains last year.. (UV trapping at one location only two nights straight) Found Chrysina gloriosa, was little late for C. woodi, found lots and lots of non-insect inverts with Alan, just outside tent.. lol. Found a single male of Xyloryctes thestalus. It was a dry season, with no water stream at all, everything was kinda dried out, and dying from low humidity, so it wasn't the best time of the year. No records of Megasoma vogti was even there when I researched ahead of trip. (actually couple weeks early for M. vogti too). I can't remember the name of place, but there was a protected area near Davis where M. vogti has been recorded multiple times. (look up either iNaturalist or BugGuide!) I tried to contact their office hoping I could access there, since overnight camping as well as hunting is allowed (in hunting season), but..... The office closed an hour earlier than posted office hours, so never even had a chance.

I went to Davis to light for a night, then backpack. I wasn't planning to find vogti there, gave up after San Antonio was a bust... Davis I went to early August, got 3 woodi, some gloriosa, and probably 30+ Xlyocrates, but the Xlyocrates didn't breed for me sadly.

On 7/12/2021 at 12:04 AM, JKim said:

...I can't remember the name of place, but there was a protected area near Davis where M. vogti has been recorded multiple times. (look up either iNaturalist or BugGuide!)...

Surely, any records of M. vogti in the Davis Mountains are in error, as that area is much too far west for this species?  I've not heard of vogti being found any further west than the area around Brackettville.