Baby Orthoporus ornatus

BensBeasts1

Help I have a millipede addiction!!! After multiple sightings of breeding  a small group of orthoporus ornatus has produced a 1st gen of cb babies!! The babies have already moulted once. I will give future updates and get more adults for this culture. I will also do a care and breeding guide in the future.

1743CA05-BB84-4A24-B566-73A48D0267D1.jpeg

Pictured below is one of the adults.

77FB4AD4-0764-4F81-806D-2115BA48B3FC.jpeg

5 hours ago, Beetlesforlife3 said:

Cool. How did you do it?

I was pretty easy I’m going to make a care and breeding sheet soon. Probably next week 

You would be the first person to breed Orthoporus indoors. It seems unlikely as bigfoot but I'd be happy to trade for some. Also, from the number of legs and segments of the animal pictured it has molted at least 3 times if not a dozen.

Several people have posted about getting babies from their Orthoporus, accompanied with pictures of the babies. They look very similar to the babies in your picture so it's likely that they've been bred by several people already. 

2 hours ago, Lucanus said:

Several people have posted about getting babies from their Orthoporus, accompanied with pictures of the babies. They look very similar to the babies in your picture so it's likely that they've been bred by several people already. 

Nice, I’m glad that I’m one of the few to produce babies!

13 hours ago, Lucanus said:

I've followed people posting baby Orthoporus for decades but every thread I've followed disappeared or turned into julids. That's why I mentioned big foot since I've heard many stories but never yet a confirmation. Do you have a link you can share for a previous solid documentation? Still if these are babies then it should be possible to raise them and go again.

On 2/20/2021 at 5:21 AM, Dynastes said:

I've followed people posting baby Orthoporus for decades but every thread I've followed disappeared or turned into julids. That's why I mentioned big foot since I've heard many stories but never yet a confirmation. Do you have a link you can share for a previous solid documentation? Still if these are babies then it should be possible to raise them and go again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFzmHUvnoMa/?igshid=oyzpoo3r144j

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/baby-millipedes.306971/

Here's two

9 hours ago, Lucanus said:

From looking at those pictures I'd be hard pressed to believe either are Orthoporus, especially the instagram since there are almost certainly two different orders represented, neither of which appear to be Spirostreptida. The AB one is among my reference to disappeared threads since they never reached an appreciable size over a relatively long time and there was never an update with something bigger than a julid. Also, they are almost certainly julids because the smallest ones aren't the right shape to be that tiny for a large species.

12 hours ago, Dynastes said:

From looking at those pictures I'd be hard pressed to believe either are Orthoporus, especially the instagram since there are almost certainly two different orders represented, neither of which appear to be Spirostreptida. The AB one is among my reference to disappeared threads since they never reached an appreciable size over a relatively long time and there was never an update with something bigger than a julid. Also, they are almost certainly julids because the smallest ones aren't the right shape to be that tiny for a large species.

Orthoporus looks like giant Julids so i wouldn't be surprised if their babies looked like Julids too. Only time will tell I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
16 hours ago, BensBeasts1 said:

I’m still growing them to adults its very slow.

Any pics of them in their current growth phase? 

Here is some of them some seem freshly emerged others are a few moults in. Its hard to tell how many are in the enclosure I estimate somewhere above or below 100.

A47FCA5E-D2DD-4AA5-B003-F994F8AA388E.jpeg

840A95F1-806C-4CCE-BCFA-D34F3A845B11.jpeg

7A868ED0-019E-4B41-94B3-EA8D0FE04288.jpeg