Which adult beetle species live the longest?

I haven't been able to track down any references, but a colleague once told me that certain darklings had been recorded as living for up to 20 years as adults.  He might have been talking about some of the species that have been tagged and monitored in the Namib Desert, along the southwest coast of Africa.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:29 PM, Goliathus said:

Some adult tenebrionids can live for an exceptionally long time.  Some adult lucanids can survive for at least several years. 

I second that! Many stags and darklings live for for 2-7 years, with some living for even longer!

On 1/16/2022 at 10:37 AM, Dynastes TItyus hunter said:

Lucanus cervuses can live up to 7 years. 

Species Lucanus are among the shortest-lived adult stags, maybe you're thinking of maximum lifespan from egg?

On 1/11/2022 at 1:44 PM, Goliathus said:

I haven't been able to track down any references, but a colleague once told me that certain darklings had been recorded as living for up to 20 years as adults.  He might have been talking about some of the species that have been tagged and monitored in the Namib Desert, along the southwest coast of Africa.

I've heard some crazy longevity statements on darklings including Asbolus and Eleodes but I've kept quite a few from eclosion and 2-5 is realistic. Anything past 6 is likely entirely imagined. Phileurus 18-30 months, Dynastes tityus up to 12, Dorcus ~12 months

On 1/16/2022 at 3:39 PM, Dynastes said:

I've heard some crazy longevity statements on darklings including Asbolus and Eleodes but I've kept quite a few from eclosion and 2-5 is realistic. Anything past 6 is likely entirely imagined. Phileurus 18-30 months, Dynastes tityus up to 12, Dorcus ~12 months

A claim of 20 years for an adult darkling does seem dubious.