Packaging Beetles For Shipment..

I could use some help. Whats the best cooling pack? I've found some cold packs online, ones sold on bug sites, but they only last 24 hours! I ship via Priority Mail usps which takes between 1-3 days delivery. I found one that last 96 hours, and  keeps the temps at 2-8 celsius but they are like  $600! Any one have any ideas? I don't want the beetles to bake! 

Thanks for help!

Thanks guys! What substrate should I put in the containers with the bugs? I'm focusing on bess beetles, rice beetles(scarab), and tiger beetles. I got millipedes in dirt(one dead), and BIC's Harlequin Flower beetle in a cup with a dry paper towel(I guess it dried out.. Harlequin Beetle came alive and well though.)

Yeah you really don't need it, Stepp Goins sent me some larvae and they arrived very safe without a hot or cold pack.

If it's hot out, you'll wanna make sure they got good lid and maybe side ventilation, and not to soak the shipping medium. Poor ventilation, high humidity and very high temps lead to steam-cooked inverts. 

A lot depends on the temperature of where you are sending it and the temperature of where you are sending it from. If it's very hot, like above 90, it's better to send it Express Mail so it gets there in 1 or 2 days max with a cold pack in an insulated box. I don't think any regular cold pack (maybe the one the cost $600, wow) will last more than 2 days. Peter sends all his live stuff when its hot via Express with a regular cold pack. You can chance it sending it via Priority but I have found sometimes its ok and sometimes its not. That is just my experience but it appears others have had no problems so I guess it just depends. 

Peter sends way more stuff than we will ever will so I assume he knows from experience.

And just FYI, USPS Priority mail has been having delays lately. Read this link for more info:

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/USPS-Coronavirus-Updates-Expected-Delivery-Changes?r=8&ui-force-components-controllers-recordGlobalValueProvider.RecordGvp.getRecord=1

Ok, thanks. Wish I already did my bug hunt. Tomarrow is 90 degrees and the rest of the week is 88 degrees with thunderstorms every day. That might of kept things cooler. Maybe all the storms will result in a cool front next week, and I need to get those ice packs.

So I should keep my containers more dry? I totally understand heat and humidity thing. Can I add at least some quencher jell if they get thirsty? 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to ship some beetles soon, I really want and need to know what substrate I should put  in the containers I'm putting them in. I though about leaf litter. Is that ok? I don't want to dry out my beetles. I'm shipping via Express. PLEASE please someone help!!!! 

Adult beetles?  Moistened paper towels - enough that they largely fill up the container, and leave air pockets throughout.  The beetles will burrow into it and feel secure.  Bounty brand works well since it's thick and absorbent.

Yeah, just moisten some paper towels, wring out excess moisture so it's not dripping, poke plenty of small holes in the lid and sides, and they should be fine. 

If the temps are high, I would insulate the inside of the box and put in a cold pack just to be safe. You can just use bubble wrap to insulate the inside of the box, it doesn't have to be the fancy styrofoam type but of course thats even better. The cold packs are cheap like Goliathus mentioned earlier, can get them at the dollar stores. And definitely the moistened paper towels as mentioned above. With all that, it should be fine.

I just received a package from Peter, and despite 90-degree temps, all six grubs I ordered made it (including 4 Goliathus!!!). The package had three layers. The first two were nested, small Priority Mail boxes. One was slightly larger, but they fit together tightly (I can measure them when I get a chance). These two nested packages were put in a large Express envelope next to an ice pack. The grubs were placed in cups of flake soil (even the Goliaths). 

I also sent some roaches recently in similar temps, and they were in a 12 x 9 x 7 Priority Mail box. The bottom of the box had a piece of high-density polystyrene insulation foam with a paper-wrapped ice pack on top. The roach container went on top (70 B. giganteus with slightly moist paper towels in a large, rectangular Ziploc Tupperware that had about a 2-in x 2-in mesh ventilation hole in the top) and it was also wrapped in multiple layers of paper. The remaining space was filled with reused packing peanuts and I put a piece of Styrofoam on top. All the roaches made it with Express 1-day shipping. 

Just now, Arthroverts said:

Phase 22 cryopacks or homemade cool packs made from expanded water crystals that are then frozen work great for just about all invertebrates.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

I had not heard about using those polymer crystals before. What do you put them in? I assume a Ziploc is too flimsy to reliably prevent leakages? 

34 minutes ago, The Mantis Menagerie said:

I had not heard about using those polymer crystals before. What do you put them in? I assume a Ziploc is too flimsy to reliably prevent leakages? 

Double bag Ziploc/Great Value (Walmart brand) works great. I make sure to press the air out of both bags to help prevent the seal from bursting as the crystals move around in transit. I also make sure the bag is never more than half full and all the crystals have fully expanded.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

I can't find a cool pack anywhere I checked the dollar store, staples, pet stores, and the UPS store, to no avail. I need them shipped out tomarrow. Temps are going to ramp back up next week. I'm so stressed right now. Now I know how the bugs feel. I just really want them to survive their trip. Please, I need an alternative to cool packs.

Do you think insulating with the styofoam/bubble wrap with a bag of ice will work?

I honestly don't bother with heat packs for any of my orders, so long as they've got good ventilation they're usually OK. Just shipped two orders out in 90+ degree weather earlier this week without heat packs or styrofoam insulation of any kind. 

5 hours ago, Bugoodle said:

I can't find a cool pack anywhere I checked the dollar store, staples, pet stores, and the UPS store, to no avail. I need them shipped out tomarrow. Temps are going to ramp back up next week. I'm so stressed right now. Now I know how the bugs feel. I just really want them to survive their trip. Please, I need an alternative to cool packs.

Do you think insulating with the styofoam/bubble wrap with a bag of ice will work?

The water crystals I suggested above are sold at many home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowe's; basically these.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Thank you. It's a little late now though. I just got a freeze pak for them. I hope it works. I'm using an insulated UPS bag I turned inside out. This pads the bottom and sides so far. I'm not sure how to rig the top up. Also, should I put holes in the package for them?