A small but interesting beetle that I occasionally find; a Bark-Gnawing Beetle, Temnoscheila spp. (family Trogossitidae) -

17481d32590cfffbd6b89f1f0cfb3114.jpg

Many species of this genus are metallic green or blue. I was surprised at how readily these beetles will bite when handled, and at how much pressure their mandibles can exert, despite the insect being only around 20 mm long.

More info -

myrmecos.wordpress.com/2008/04/11/friday-beetle-blogging-temnoscheila-bark-gnawing-beetle/

bugguide.net/node/view/13599

On 2/27/2022 at 11:19 AM, Dynastes said:

How long do the adults live?

No idea, but the larvae live under tree bark, and are predatory on the larvae of other beetles, including Scolytinae.

Photos of Temnoscheila larvae - 

https://www.insectimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=0745049

https://bugguide.net/node/view/41439

In form, they are rather similar to the larvae of some predatory click beetles, such as Alaus spp.

I heard the larvae can be fed on bean weevil larvae or other grain pests. These are extremely common with funnel traps baited with ethanol, and have a very wide range. At night can be found on bark on trees with seeping sap with extremely good reliability (I have over 100 of these pinned lol, and that's bc I don't keep most that I find). I might try to raise some this year cause I just got a bean weevil colony established

I've been wanting to try and breed these forever, found a dead one a couple years ago... I have yet to find any live ones.

On 2/28/2022 at 10:11 PM, JunkaiWangisme said:

I heard the larvae can be fed on bean weevil larvae or other grain pests. These are extremely common with funnel traps baited with ethanol, and have a very wide range. At night can be found on bark on trees with seeping sap with extremely good reliability (I have over 100 of these pinned lol, and that's bc I don't keep most that I find). I might try to raise some this year cause I just got a bean weevil colony established

Ooooh, if you find any extras this year, lemme know, I definitely wanna try and breed them. :)