L. placidus

Joopes

On 8/22/2021 at 8:40 AM, Joopes said:

Is Lucanus placidus cultured/kept in captivity at all? From what I can find on the species, it is not, but I am not sure.

-

Jacob

🖖

I have some larvae this year from wild collected pairs. (although, don't have a lot).. Also, I reared these from another wild females in past years too, and larvae were pretty easy to rear and easy enough to reach emergence. Couple problems I encountered were:

(1) all major males and females emerged with defect on elytra and abdomen
-medium sized or minor sized came out perfect

(2) adults barely fed on fruits
-either they feed on fruit or not, they all showed some responses to jellies, but still barely did.

(3) adult life span seems quite short whether WC or CB.

It could all be just some combinations of coincidences (as I had power outage and AC down time to time throughout for past couple years, but still seemed quite strange to me. For the next year season, I'm hoping to get some more eggs and larvae to try things out. I also got a great advice from a friend who kept hundreds of larvae of this species...

On 8/22/2021 at 11:49 AM, JKim said:

I have some larvae this year from wild collected pairs. (although, don't have a lot).. Also, I reared these from another wild females in past years too, and larvae were pretty easy to rear and easy enough to reach emergence. Couple problems I encountered were:

(1) all major males and females emerged with defect on elytra and abdomen
-medium sized or minor sized came out perfect

(2) adults barely fed on fruits
-either they feed on fruit or not, they all showed some responses to jellies, but still barely did.

(3) adult life span seems quite short whether WC or CB.

It could all be just some combinations of coincidences (as I had power outage and AC down time to time throughout for past couple years, but still seemed quite strange to me. For the next year season, I'm hoping to get some more eggs and larvae to try things out. I also got a great advice from a friend who kept hundreds of larvae of this species...

I think it's interesting how some species need such specific conditions in captivity, and even then don't always do very well.

On 8/22/2021 at 3:58 PM, Joopes said:

I think it's interesting how some species need such specific conditions in captivity, and even then don't always do very well.

Another problems with this species is the restricted range. I've never seen a live adult and I tried for a long time to get some. capreolus and mazama are pretty easy to catch or buy.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:45 PM, Dynastes said:

Another problems with this species is the restricted range. I've never seen a live adult and I tried for a long time to get some. capreolus and mazama are pretty easy to catch or buy.

Its occurrence range is pretty broad, and is similar to L. capreolus and more than L. elaphus. However, it looks like they are observed in small numbers only. I collected 1-2 specimens in each year in past couple years, but then I collected about 30? 40? specimens this year. Maybe they have a peak brood period.

On 8/23/2021 at 5:45 PM, Dynastes said:

Where do you buy mazama? I don't see them for sale much

On 8/24/2021 at 4:24 PM, Joopes said:

Where do you buy mazama? I don't see them for sale much

Arizona collectors at the right time of year. They are incredibly easy to rear through generations so it is a little surprising you don't see C.B. on vendor lists.