Shrinking warrior beetle?!

Shrunk in length? I’m no expert but that should be pretty impossible since the beetle is an adult, right? I’m guessing you might have measured it differently but I’m interested to hear more about this case

On 6/28/2021 at 8:55 AM, newbie007 said:

It shrank to 1/8th its size?  Either you measured wrong or you have more than one beetle.

NO, I was over exaggerating its the first number that popped in my head more like couple mm less like 10-15

It can be difficult to accurately measure things with a ruler, the animal doesn't cooperate often. Calipers are the standard, but you still need the insect

to cooperate, I have problems measuring or getting accurate pics of the maximum size of larva, one minute, they're all relaxed and at maximum size,

then you get out the camera, open the cage, and it gets scared.

On 6/28/2021 at 6:10 PM, kevink said:

It can be difficult to accurately measure things with a ruler, the animal doesn't cooperate often. Calipers are the standard, but you still need the insect

to cooperate, I have problems measuring or getting accurate pics of the maximum size of larva, one minute, they're all relaxed and at maximum size,

then you get out the camera, open the cage, and it gets scared.

Agreed!

Could also be that the abdomen is extending and shrinking back up after particularly large meals, sometimes very well fed or very gravid Carabids get distended abdomens that go past their elytra.

On 6/29/2021 at 8:25 PM, Hisserdude said:

Could also be that the abdomen is extending and shrinking back up after particularly large meals, sometimes very well fed or very gravid Carabids get distended abdomens that go past their elytra.

Probably that i feed it massive superworms!

On 6/29/2021 at 11:54 PM, Teneb said:

Probably that i feed it massive superworms!

Yeah, that's more than likely the reason it keeps getting bigger then shrinking.

• 4 weeks later...