Does flakesoil.com ship to the us

Scarabs

On 10/29/2020 at 9:25 PM, Scarabs said:

Hi I wanted to ask if flakesoil.com ships to the us

Bugs in cyberspace sells flake soil in the US

I'm pretty sure any interstate soil transport is illegal so I have no idea how BIC gets around that (I'm guessing it's not enforced domestically, or maybe autoclaved) I'm also almost 100% sure that international soil import from anywhere would be very enforced and probably include quite a costly fine.  This is to prevent the spread of non native organisms

Maybe it's just a matter of having the information, I can't see any reason whatsoever for anyone to buy an organic material from overseas.

I see so many sources for substrate, and there is another insect site that caters to the states- Insectnet.com, it's mostly lepidoptera, but it is

all entomology and where I purchased my lucanus elephus grubs, live dynastes tityus adults, and live dynastes granti adults.

And, perhaps it is just having the information, I've learned quite a bit in the short time I've been using this forum. What comes up first in a search,

isn't always your best choice. Networking, and asking questions, which is what these forums are for.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:42 PM, the_cream_man said:

Bugs in cyberspace sells flake soil in the US

I'm pretty sure any interstate soil transport is illegal so I have no idea how BIC gets around that (I'm guessing it's not enforced domestically, or maybe autoclaved) I'm also almost 100% sure that international soil import from anywhere would be very enforced and probably include quite a costly fine.  This is to prevent the spread of non native organisms

Flake soil is not technically soil because it is made from sawdust. Since the pellets used to make it are compressed and sterile, there are no regulations on flake soil made from Traeger or similar products, at least not for interstate transportation within the Continental US. 

14 hours ago, The Mantis Menagerie said:

Flake soil is not technically soil because it is made from sawdust. Since the pellets used to make it are compressed and sterile, there are no regulations on flake soil made from Traeger or similar products, at least not for interstate transportation within the Continental US. 

That makes sense, it's hard to know where the line is sometimes.. I feel like once it's begun the fermentation process who knows what sort of regional microorganisms might have colonized it.  

I know that's a bit of a stretch and not APHIS primary concern but the laws surrounding all that stuff I think are intentionally vague to cover more situations.

You could apply the question of legality to potting soil, all manner of organic soils, compost and amendments are shipped interstate, I doubt the

local hardware store, grocery store or even a nursery has to go through any legal requirements to ship or receive soil and soil products.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I spoke to APHIS a few years ago about importing substrate from Japan, but after quite a bit of conversation they said it wouldn't really be feasible / possible. I know when I import beetles there can't be any soil - or anything that even looks like soil - in the shipment.

I'm not sure how plant importers operate (I guess that might be why we get the odd invasive every once in a while, like Popillia japonica). I think imported soil has to go through a sterilization process at port of entry

I also heard, as Beetle-Experience has said, that "soil" or "plant matters" cannot be imported per USDA APHIS, and any wood material of oak CANNOT be imported.. So, technically, whether you get caught or not, you shouldn't import it. There are more than couple of sellers available in the U.S. that sells beetle substrate that can be used right away, so I would recommend you to buy from them... Beetle Source, Bugs in Cyberspace, Insect Brothers, US Beetles, ...