Dung beetle pitfall

Hi all,

One of the most beautiful beetles where I live (imo) is Geotrupes splendidus (Splendid Earth Boring Beetle).

I set four pitfall traps baited with a mixture of my and fermented molasses/banana goo.  So far they've come up empty each time I've checked so I wanted to see if anyone has advice on collecting dung beetles. (Biome/how to check for presence/trees they're near/bait)

I'm literally already using my feces so I'm pretty dedicated to finding some 😅

Best regards,

Joe

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2020 at 7:47 PM, the_cream_man said:

Hi all,

One of the most beautiful beetles where I live (imo) is Geotrupes splendidus (Splendid Earth Boring Beetle).

I set four pitfall traps baited with a mixture of my and fermented molasses/banana goo.  So far they've come up empty each time I've checked so I wanted to see if anyone has advice on collecting dung beetles. (Biome/how to check for presence/trees they're near/bait)

I'm literally already using my feces so I'm pretty dedicated to finding some 😅

Best regards,

Joe

I admire your dedication... my Aunt has 2 horses, if you or anyone needs some horse piles, let me know. You pay shipping.

5 minutes ago, Reyes said:

Did you find any?

I didn't find any Geotrupidae but I did end up getting quite a few Onthophagus orpheus (Green bronze dung beetle).  I took some home and put some of my poop in a deli cup with them.  It's all been buried so I'm gonna check for brood balls Thursday or Friday 😅

2 minutes ago, kevink said:

I admire your dedication... my Aunt has 2 horses, if you or anyone needs some horse piles, let me know. You pay shipping.

Thanks for the tip, I might take you up on that 😉💩📬

On 10/20/2020 at 12:54 AM, Reyes said:

Also, I think if you ate only vegetable for a day, you're fecal will attract more dung beetles and possibly lay eggs.

Please no false info. Geotrupes splendidus has been collected by me on multiple occasions under carnivore dung, but never under herbivore dung. Most NA dung beetles prefer swine/human poop, both omnivorous creatures. Also, eating veggies for a day don't change your poop lol.

The best dung beetle trap design I've ever seen was trap constructed by Vernon Antoine Brou Jr. (Abita Springs, Louisiana). Below is a link to his FB post, with a lot of discussions under comment section too.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=110003892451692&set=a.107115286073886

I too used his trap design to collect hundreds and thousands of dung beetles or any insects attracted to animal/human feces, including Phanaeus vindex, Onthophagus taurus, Onthophagus hecate, Onthophagus medorensis, Deltochilum gibbosum, Copris minutus, Canthon chalcites, Onthophilus, Geotrupes blackburnii excrementi, Geotrupes opacus, with so many other undetermined specimens.