S rugosum

JunkaiWangisme

On 3/11/2022 at 1:37 PM, Goliathus said:

Sinodendron rugosum certainly is very unusual among Lucanidae - it looks more like a miniature rhinoceros beetle, than a stag beetle.  Hoping that you will be successful in breeding them!

the are extremely primitive based on phylogenetic done on them, behaves more like a bess beetle actually, and adults seemingly eat wood.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Really interesting beetles. A friend caught some in the San Gabriel mountains near a creek bed with lots of decaying wood. So I went up with my sister a few days later and we were able to get a few. I didn't try breeding them but heard they need rotten logs. 

On 10/30/2022 at 3:19 AM, Garin said:

Really interesting beetles. A friend caught some in the San Gabriel mountains near a creek bed with lots of decaying wood. So I went up with my sister a few days later and we were able to get a few. I didn't try breeding them but heard they need rotten logs. 

They did not breed for me in logs or flake soil at all! The females drilled into the logs provided but no larvae were observed... I would love to try them again one day with different setups, maybe I shall pester you some day ;).