A Lucky Day for Me

Lucanus

141785583_4379825602079521_3121335881249

A tree fell down near my workplace so I decided to investigate before the tree service could get to it and take it away. To my surprise I found 14 D. tityus larvae inside the cavity of the tree! The place I work at is in the middle of suburb so it's mind blowing that these could breed in the city where there's hardly any trees left. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting they are able to locate the tree holes over miles. It's the same in many new growth areas where an old tree from a field lines can be thousands of feet away from the next and they still find it. 

On 2/20/2021 at 5:07 AM, Dynastes said:

It's interesting they are able to locate the tree holes over miles. It's the same in many new growth areas where an old tree from a field lines can be thousands of feet away from the next and they still find it. 

It really is amazing. It also blows my mind that they can survive in heavily developed areas as long as the tree they can breed in is available. 

On 2/21/2021 at 1:31 PM, Lucanus said:

It really is amazing. It also blows my mind that they can survive in heavily developed areas as long as the tree they can breed in is available. 

Maybe they can smell the rotting wood soil from miles away.