How to Clean Rotten Wood

Hello! I just got a bunch of rotten wood and I was wondering what is the best way to clean it and get rid of possibly any other insects like termites and ants that might be on it. How can I do it?

9 hours ago, Dynastes TItyus hunter said:

Not too hot because it might cook the wood piece. Maybe freeze it and do it. 

You mean, freeze it and then put it on warm water?

Freezing or low heat in an oven, not a microwave. Where you're in Brazil, freezing is probably a good option, I doubt you see many frosts there.

There is no way to perfectly kill pests inside the wood (unless it is small sized of less than (let's say) 2 inches) just by freeze or boil those rotten wood. I would rather just carefully clean surface area (remove bark if there is one), and make sure there is no holes. Any rotten wood you picked up from ground should be avoided from use. Anything that was in midair, barely touched ground should work better. Any rotten wood that is clean, go ahead boil it for an extra care. But even if you boil wood for hours and hours, it doesn't kill all the pests inside the wood. Which goes same for freezing too.

16 hours ago, kevink said:

Freezing or low heat in an oven, not a microwave. Where you're in Brazil, freezing is probably a good option, I doubt you see many frosts there.

Man, I've never even seen snow even a single time in my life haha.

16 hours ago, JKim said:

There is no way to perfectly kill pests inside the wood (unless it is small sized of less than (let's say) 2 inches) just by freeze or boil those rotten wood. I would rather just carefully clean surface area (remove bark if there is one), and make sure there is no holes. Any rotten wood you picked up from ground should be avoided from use. Anything that was in midair, barely touched ground should work better. Any rotten wood that is clean, go ahead boil it for an extra care. But even if you boil wood for hours and hours, it doesn't kill all the pests inside the wood. Which goes same for freezing too.

So is it ok to boil? I think Im just going to clean it by hand like you said, but do you think boiling should be fine? Or should it be just warm water like others suggested?

5 hours ago, Satoshiek said:

So is it ok to boil? I think Im just going to clean it by hand like you said, but do you think boiling should be fine? Or should it be just warm water like others suggested?

Yes, boiling wood should be fine. I've done that numerous times too. No issue found.