Topic about fermenting sawdust

Scarabs

Is it just me or should there be a whole topic about fermenting sawdust, because there are many things that can go wrong during the process, and im sure people new to the hobby have some questions about it

Well I do have one question I started fermenting my sawdust 2 weeks ago but its not warming up. Could it be because of the chilly nights? where I live during this time of year it gets around the low 60's to the high 40's

I advise you to put it somewhere warmer because fermentation is very slow when cold.

Temperature is very important for making flake soil hence the reason why people usually make it during the summer.

You could try heating pads, like for reptiles or vegetables. A room warming heater might be too much, and a heat pad is safe and probably

uses less power.

3 hours ago, Scarabs said:

What if I put it in my basement with small heaters around it

Like Oak said, temperature is the key. When the temps are high, things go great, when the temps are low, it can stop the fermenting process or take very, very long. The basement being kept warm should work. I have my composters in a room with a small space heater and the room is kept at 75 degrees and it works fine during the winter. Any area that you can keep warm will do it. 

• 2 weeks later...