Collecting trip tips

Hi everyone. I am planning a summer collecting trip that starts on July 6th and last till august 7th. I will go through Ohio, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Indiana. I am planning to stay mostly in National forests. I own a generator and a 400 Watt MH light, and well as plenty of wood hacking equipment. Anyone have any suggestions on anything please tell me, and if you are familiar with light trapping and collecting in a state listed above please give me tips :). If you know of a specific location with interesting beetles, mantids or katydids please tell me. DM is okay too! Thank you guys so much!!!

On 6/30/2020 at 11:39 AM, Goliathus said:

If you happen to end up in far West Texas, you could visit the Davis Mountains, the habitat of Chrysina woodiChrysina gloriosa lives there also.

It's a quite "off the beaten track" place, but the landscape out there is amazing - 

I will see if I can swing by there. Do they allow camping and light trapping?

2 hours ago, Beetle-Experience said:

Where in Louisiana? There are some nice spots in central LA, unless you are looking for aquatics or lubbers then you would need to come further south.

I am planning 2 days there. Do you know of any specific spots I will be allowed to light trap? Also, what aquatics are there? I am planning to spend a night in a national forest there, are there anything good in those areas?

Maybe send me a message or email (info@beetle-experience.com). Are you keeping things alive or is everything being preserved?

In central and northern LA we have scorpions, tarantulas, centipedes, leaf-cutter ants, large beetles...

The large aquatics in south LA:
Giant  Water Bugs:     Lethocerus uhleri and Benacus griseus
Predaceous Diving Beetles: Cybister fimbriolatus
Giant Water Scavenger Beetles: Hydrophilus triangularis
..plus: Eastern Lubber Grasshoppers

Steven

On 6/30/2020 at 11:39 AM, Goliathus said:

If you happen to end up in far West Texas, you could visit the Davis Mountains, the habitat of Chrysina woodiChrysina gloriosa lives there also.

It's a quite "off the beaten track" place, but the landscape out there is amazing - 

davis-mountains_opti_1074_5.jpg

439ac1569ce81571f9623961b63d2043.jpg

fort-davis-mountains-sunset-dean-ginther

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are amazing photos!