Beetle Problem

Lucanus

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 11:57 PM, Bugoodle said:

Rain Beetles. How long do the adults live?

Nope, triceratops beetles, Phileurus truncatus. :) Think they're rather long lived for a Dynastid, I forget exactly how long though. 

On 6/30/2020 at 11:50 PM, Bugoodle said:

Edit: Whoops! Sorry Hisser Dude! For some reason I got you confused with Lucanus. Up ttoo late, time to take my sleeping pill.

I mean, still, if you or anyone else happen to own these, hit me up. lol

Haha well hopefully @Lucanus will have some available in the future if he breeds his adults. :)

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2021 at 3:18 PM, Lucanus said:

Ended up selling all except 1 pair. That pair produced 7 larvae so far.

I still have a colony going from the ones I got from a certain lucanus in 2017 but breeding and feeding so nuanced I often end up mating them across generations (because they eat each other and males get pinged the most). I swear though before I could add a new generation male I got six eggs a month early and 3 look good. The male in that group was eaten back in March. I don't remember the stock I kept for seven generation in the 90's being quite so trying.

On 7/25/2021 at 2:25 PM, Dynastes said:

I still have a colony going from the ones I got from a certain lucanus in 2017 but breeding and feeding so nuanced I often end up mating them across generations (because they eat each other and males get pinged the most). I swear though before I could add a new generation male I got six eggs a month early and 3 look good. The male in that group was eaten back in March. I don't remember the stock I kept for seven generation in the 90's being quite so trying.

I had that problem with my 1st stock so I try to sell off all except 2 pairs for myself for breeding.