Phanaeus vindex

Ometeo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PIc Heavy, but this is a neat time-lapse set of pictures from a 40 min cell phone video of P. vindex feeding.

I had been too caught up watching them do their thing before it occurred to me to film them, but this is still the bulk of of it.

Male's tunnel is on the right, the females on the left.

02:21

two_twentyone.jpg

03:17

three_seventeen.jpg

The male has now cut away a small section and is working on bringing it down into it's feeding chamber.

05:48

five_fortyeight.jpg

12:51

twelve_fiftyone.jpg

Notice the female's progress, versus the male's progress, particularly give the size of food on either tunnel.

17:10

seventeen_ten.jpg

18:07

eighteen_oseven.jpg

The female is now done storing the excrement directly above her tunnel, she comes out, waves her antennae in search of more, and realizes there is a small amount close to her.

18:53

eighteen_fiftythree.jpg

She finds a small amount very close to her tunnel at 19:07

ninetheen_oseven.jpg

And begins working away, using her "shovel" clypeus to cut at it from underneath.

19:35

ninetheen_thirtyfive.jpg

Unknown to her, that little piece of food belonged to a major male that tunneled next to her, she gets startled and mounts a  quick retreat to her tunnel.

20:38

twenty_thirtyeight.jpg

About a minute later she decides she is going for it anyway, so she shoves the male out of the way and begins to take the food away.

21:39

twentyone_thirtynine.jpg

She has now nearly buried all of it

23:45

twentythree_fortyfive.jpg

The male, (let's anthropomorphize) apparently dumbfounded, just sits there as the female begins to close the entrance to her tunnel.

27:48

twentyseven_fortyeight.jpg

32:59

thirtytwo_fiftynine.jpg

33:04

thirtythree_ofour.jpg

34:11

thirtyfour_eleven.jpg

34:54

thirtyfour_fiftyfour.jpg

She has completely closed off the entrance, while the make decides to feed on the leftovers.

39:25

thirtynine_twentyfive.jpg

Here is the product of the breeding process, brood ball "A" with a window to see what was going on inside.

The brood ball had been checked, and a small window had been cut to check on the grub prior to taking these shots (June 15th). Two days later (today June 17th) the window had been repaired (patched), and it had to be re-opened for the images below.

IMG_6651.JPG

IMG_6656.jpg

IMG_6669.jpg

IMG_6682.JPG

You know Ryan, not really.

They are rather quick at burying the dung, I will admit however that I have air circulation in the room where I keep the animals. the only real smell cam from a time I left a small bag (I packed their meals in sandwich bags ) in the room, the next day the whole room smelled funky, had to open the window and turn on the fans for a while. The dung itself I would freeze (outdoor fridge), so there was never a real issue keeping them.

You know Ryan, not really.

They are rather quick at burying the dung, I will admit however that I have air circulation in the room where I keep the animals. the only real smell cam from a time I left a small bag (I packed their meals in sandwich bags ) in the room, the next day the whole room smelled funky, had to open the window and turn on the fans for a while. The dung itself I would freeze (outdoor fridge), so there was never a real issue keeping them.

What kind of dung?

• 5 months later...
I did not realize I had not uploaded an image of the breeding results.
Here is the female I was able to bring up to adulthood, her elytra were deformed, likely due to the irregular surface inside her broodball, irregularities caused by me by the constant opening of a viewing window.
IMG_8160.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...