Megasoma pacheoci question

On 8/6/2021 at 4:36 PM, DynastesDee said:

Is there any hope of finding Megasoma pacheoci here in the US?

No - it doesn't range as far north as the US.  I've only ever heard if it being found in the Mexican states of Sonora and Sinaloa.

I heard a rumor about some Southern or Central American Megasoma species occasionally fly over to the southern boarder of Texas, but never seen or heard of actual record being exist. It is just a doubtful potential I guess... The known host plants for Megasoma pachecoi are Cercidium torreyanum and Parkinsonia aculeata.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:18 PM, DynastesDee said:

Great, that’s good to know.

By the way, I never really heard of scarabs being attracted to plants like the way they are attracted to pheromone, or any sort of actively attracting medium in traps... Just because you have that tree at your backyard, doesn't mean the beetles are flying over to your place... I hope this is not what you were trying to do... Even if a forest is full of the host plant of certain species, unless that particular species is introduced into that forest, they won't be found (pretty obvious, right?)

True - the only dynastine scarabs that I've ever actually found on tree trunks (Mesquite) was Megasoma punctulatus.  But, that's by no means the most reliable way to find this species - looking for them at lights is far more efficient.