Late night prionid sighting

Ratmosphere

If this is USA, it's a little long for Prionus, probably a Giant pine sawyer, like Ergates spiculatus,

it's beginning to be that time of year, I want to go Prionid hunting soon, I've caught them up until

the end of August.

In any event, they're great big beetles, when I was much- much younger, we caught them at the street lights, as they would buzz around, 

waiting for them to land.

One time, I brought one in using a flashlight- we were going to visit a cave late night and as we crossed the road, I turned on my camping

style flashlight lantern, and was surprised to see a Prionid land right at my feet.

They are Goliathus, my best Prionid capture was in the Domincan Republic in the 80's, on a collecting trip with a group, walking

up to the main lodge one night I spotted a giant beetle on the roof, and scampered up to grab him, a great beetle moment,

although the specimen was lost in past drama.

On 7/9/2021 at 8:09 PM, kevink said:

They are Goliathus, my best Prionid capture was in the Domincan Republic in the 80's, on a collecting trip with a group, walking

up to the main lodge one night I spotted a giant beetle on the roof, and scampered up to grab him, a great beetle moment,

although the specimen was lost in past drama.

The Neotropics has so many great Cerambycidae, many of which are simply amazing in size, especially Titanus, Callipogon, and Macrodontia!  A couple of Titanus giganteus specimens especially, are among the all-time favorites in my own collection.  Below is 152 mm giganteus that I've had for about 20 years.  A larva of this species has apparently never been seen, but it appears likely that like those of Derobrachus, is pupates in an earthen cell, probably at some depth underground among tree roots.  I'm sure you've seen the May 1959 issue of National Geographic which features a lengthy article by Paul A. Zahl, in which he goes in search of this beetle, among other giant Amazonian insects?

post-3343-0-97519900-1524594224.jpg

I've read that one many times at the public library as a kid, and thought if I just saved enough money, I could go there and catch bugs- at 14,

I suppose I could go now though. It'd probably be cheaper and safer to just buy everything, just not as interesting.

That is a nice beetle, maybe I should rethink the possible uses of my "disposable' income.

I love the Titan beetle. The size of them will always be mind blowing to me. 

Back to the brown Prionid real quick. Saw another one Saturday night at my girlfriends house watching the McGregor fight outside on a giant projector. There was a lot of people there all freaking out about it. Came home Sunday at 2AM and found ANOTHER one outside my door. Great to see.😆