new to beetles, how should i start?

Mykei

I wanna get a pet beetle but I'm curious on which beetle to get? I have a 17x17x24in terrarium and I'm thinking of either getting just one large beetle or get a group of smaller beetles? If I got a larger beetle would it be a poor living space for it if it doesn't have other ones to interact with? if I got a group of smaller ones, I feel like them breeding might be an issue. if they started breeding would they end up over running my terrarium? Would it be bad to keep say a stag beetle with harlequin beetles? would also appreciate any good species to own in the USA. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Mykei said:

I wanna get a pet beetle but I'm curious on which beetle to get? I have a 17x17x24in terrarium and I'm thinking of either getting just one large beetle or get a group of smaller beetles? If I got a larger beetle would it be a poor living space for it if it doesn't have other ones to interact with? if I got a group of smaller ones, I feel like them breeding might be an issue. if they started breeding would they end up over running my terrarium? Would it be bad to keep say a stag beetle with harlequin beetles? would also appreciate any good species to own in the USA. Thank you!

Beetles do not need companions. It is fine if it's alone in its terrarium. Stag beetles can potentially harm harlequin beetles when competing for food. What kind of beetles are you looking for? There are tons of great species to own. Good species to own are Lucanus elaphus, dynastes tityus/granti, blue death feigning beetles, etc... If you are fairly new to beetle keeping, harlequin beetles is a good start.

28 minutes ago, Oak said:

What kind of beetles are you looking for?

I'd probably prefer larger beetles because I would wanna interact with them by holding them. a group of smaller ones seem more interesting to me since I would see a group at work. but as I mentioned there's a bit of anxiety with owning that group lol

21 minutes ago, Mykei said:

I'd probably prefer larger beetles because I would wanna interact with them by holding them. a group of smaller ones seem more interesting to me since I would see a group at work. but as I mentioned there's a bit of anxiety with owning that group lol

If you want to own a group, harlequin and blue death feigning beetles are good. Blue death feigning beetles are hard to breed so they won't over run your terrarium.