Light traps

BensBeasts1

I know we have discussed this before but I am in search of a light for a light trap that can fit in a suitcase, possibly one that doesn’t require a cord basically runs on batteries.

Lights that do not require a cord to attach to a power source... Are you referring to battery powered light? Then I would suggest you to search for battery powered lanterns, such as:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313392864895
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303829089885

These battery powered lanterns are okay if you actually use it at where beetles occur, but... not a great trap. Don't expect a great result with such a tiny light.. :( 

Try Bioquip for lights built for the purpose, they have corded, battery, and lights that use both. They'll definitely fit in a suitcase,

and try looking at Goal Zero for batteries you can transport. Just be prepared to spend the money to get things that work.

I've read a bit about using LED lights for moths, frankly, I don't see the purpose, unless it's simply for

energy usage. I think the results are still debatable. Nothing wrong with ebay, if you stick to a seller that knows what they're doing

and answers your questions. 

The generator is the worst part of light traps for beginners because they are expensive. I'd just get the materials EXCEPT the generator and if you have a big backyard that leads to a forest, you can just set it up on your deck or something. I got 6 adult Dynastes Tityus last year. I did it on my deck.