kinshi and substrate for japanese rhino beetles

i recently purchased some japanese rhino beetles after eyeing them for years. ive done lots of research and consider myself well equipped to care for them. however, i have lots of questions about making kinshi and substrate for rhino beetles. the species i have (well i dont have them yet, theyre still in shipping) are Trypoxylus dichotomus and i havent been able to find too much information on making kinshi/substrate for them. i saw a video about creating fermented substrate from activated yeast and traeger wood pellets but im not sure if that would work for rhino beetles. i have substrate prepared for them, but in the future, id like to make my own substrate to save money and cater specifically to their individual needs. if anyone has tips or links for reference, it would be greatly appreciated! thanks

7 hours ago, Ratmosphere said:

Kinshi for rhino beetles? Never heard of that. It's mostly for some species of stag beetles. 

ah so thats probably why i couldnt find much information on it! i heard of it being used from a source or two but no where else. thanks!

1 minute ago, sakihiro said:

Did you get permits in order to import them?

they werent from out of the united states, they shipped from florida so i assume it should be fine? they arrived yesterday and are doing well. if i do decide to import in the future, i'll make sure i have all the permits lined up!

2 hours ago, Mantisfan101 said:

I’ve seen and heard this a lot, but just because they’re from within the US doesn’t make them legal to own...I’ve seen people who had exotic stick insects and whatnot and claim that as long as its within the US/their state, it’s fine. 

what permits would i need? im guessing its something from usda aphis? i want to make sure that everything is legal before get anymore beetles. thank you for letting me know!

On 3/8/2020 at 12:31 PM, celesteworms said:

what permits would i need? im guessing its something from usda aphis? i want to make sure that everything is legal before get anymore beetles. thank you for letting me know!

Keep in mind that Dynastes tityus is native to your state and a very nice beetle. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 12:31 PM, celesteworms said:

The permit is the USDA-APHIS PPQ 526 form. You can fill out an ePermits application and have it processed, but you are likely not going to get the permits for exotic beetles without a containment facility and could possibly receive a "cease and desist" order that would force you to kill your current beetles immediately. I would recommend that you either begin setting up a containment facility and then talk to one of the USDA entomologists directly to explain your situation (all the USDA entomologists I have talked to have been more than helpful in guiding me through the permitting process), or you could just quietly keep your beetles but not breed them (keep them in extremely secure tanks!). Once you do not have exotics, you could get the permits for some of the native species around the country, such as the Megasomas. 

On 3/13/2020 at 7:52 PM, Dynastes said:

Keep in mind that Dynastes tityus is native to your state and a very nice beetle. 

They are indeed a magnificent species, but keep in mind that if it is coming from out of state, then it also requires a permit (it is likely to be granted).