Bug collecting.

Dak.the.bug

Hello everyone!

I have been considering taking a trip to catch some live specimens for myself, so I was looking for some advice. I like horned beetles, and stags, but I also like mantids as well. What state in the US would have the best chance of giving me some cool specimens? 

Considering where you live, Georgia is probably your best chance at a good amount of large beetles. South Carolina is good too, but Georgia is probably the best state for lucanus elaphus (they’re plague here)

Not so fast! All I can seem to find in NC are Lucanus elephas. They are everywhere (at least when compared to other large species). 

Dynastine scarabs are basically everywhere in the United States depending on the species. Dynastes grantii occur in Arizona abundantly, and rarely found in adjacent states. They fly around starting May-June to September to October, however the peak flight season is late August to early September. Its sister species, the D. tityus can be found from eastern Texas west to Georgia north to somewhere near New York. I know there are records in lots of counties in Philadelphia. Try go to Philadelphia in sometime June to July as it is closer than southern states from your location, Maine. Strategus are here and there. Strategus aloeus is considered very common species in Louisiana, and its peak season for adults is from late June to early July in Louisiana. Its sister species, S. antaeus, that is less common can be found from last week of May to first week of June in Louisiana. Somewhere in North or South Carolina has records of Dorcus parallelus as well. It is very small Lucanid beetle, however, is one of the Dorcus species. Lucanus elaphus should be available in Virginia and around. Refer to Bugguide and/or iNaturalist records to see when and where the records been made in your area or nearer area to your state.