Dhh alternate pupa ton method?

JCK206

Hey guys,

My male Dhh have still not emerged. The females emerged in April and it seems to me that the males should have emerged by now, being that they were all kept in the same tub. I now have to make a decision whether to check on the males. If I do check on them and find that they have pupated, is there a method to replicate their cell and prevent them from dying? I had heard something about using a toilet paper roll? Any info you guys could provide would be awesome - thanks!

don't give in, keep at it. I use platic box with clear bottoms so i can see if the larvae has made a cell and when the larvae is in pupal form. Often i like to remove pupa and place in a artificiAL CELL made from florists foam

Don't! I failed to breed a pair, I've lost many larvae too. I've only been doing it a few months. I feel I will be in for more dissapointment. I think that larvae are either strong or weak when they hatch. Some are just doomed, and you can rest assured beetle breeders want to save the best larvae for themselves.

Don't give up!

Don't! I failed to breed a pair, I've lost many larvae too. I've only been doing it a few months. I feel I will be in for more dissapointment. I think that larvae are either strong or weak when they hatch. Some are just doomed, and you can rest assured beetle breeders want to save the best larvae for themselves.

Don't give up!

What are the 'best larvae'...they all look the same. Please don't blame the person you bought the larvae from when you can't rear larvae. Hercs are easy, look at your methods, read information and learn and they will be a doddle....

Then can you explain why some larvae seem to do better than others? I have a few larvae from recent breeding that are close to L3 while the others are at L1 or as most are getting ready for L2. Some larvae are born stronger IMO, people are born with diabetes, cerebral palsy, etc. Why can't some larvae be more acclimated to captive breeding than others?

I'm not saying that I'm a master breeder, far from it, but lets not dismiss genetics and learning curves.

erm......it is because they are all laid at different time, ergo they all hatch at different times and they are at different stage (L1-L3) at different times. The adult female doesn't give 'birth' to larvae en masse, she lays one egg at a timeover several months. This means that some larvae are several months older than others.

If I had a food source for them, I might consider another shot at it, but this whole thing has cost me so much money and 2 years of my time. Not saying that I minded waiting, but it was such a disappointment. The substrate is hard to get unless you order it from Taiwan, and the stuff you can get here is probably not going to be the best. Now I have 2 girls, and they probably won't be around much longer....they are already about 5 months old. I had planned to dry and frame the males once they lived out their life, but now I just have the females. I may dry them once they pass, who knows. Speaking of that, would a food dehydrator work to dry them? Anybody know?