Laws on shipping in the US

Thanks for the link, I understand about importing. It didn't address US captive produced exotics. Can for example the D.hercules , A dichotomus and many others that are produced in US be sold, and shipped? Or do the laws apply only to the importation and as long as the exotics are not released they don't get involved. This is true of a lot of other animals that can on longer be imported but are produced and sold within the US.

They are still considered by the USDA and APHIS to be invasive and/ or pests. Captive breed or otherwise; I had my hopes high that the US wouldn't outlaw captive bred species; but alas…. It's interesting because most invasives come from coprate interest; expample the emerald ash borer came in the wood used for pallets or the "japanese beetle" came in on iris bulbs. Supposedly.

So exotics, no in state or between states. Captive bred or not. You can get a license or permit from APHIS, most will laugh that I even mention it though.

Native species can be sold in state, but I believe not between states.

If you want the permit site I can give you the link. From what I heard they are near impossible to get, and take many months if you do get one. The permit does not allow for sales of the species (each permit alots for up to three) unless the person you are selling to also has a permit for those species…..

Have I mentioned how let down I feel about our country lately? I mean writing all this just gives power to unreasonable laws. Its an on going joke between enthusiasts that tropical species could over winter, let alone become invasive… Rotten wood, major cash crop.

It all comes down to money or petitions. If Bill Gates wanted certain imported beetle laws changed, he could.

I asked on this forum twice if anyone wanted to start a petition yet no one. If I can't get support here, there is no hope for laws changing anytime soon.

I think it would be relatively easy. I think people just don't care much.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, most of the exotic beetle species are illegal to even own, much less ship - without a permit. To be allowed to ship them you must first be allowed to own them...

This is the same for natives from another state, even if the species can be found in both the shipping and receiving states.

I think it is easier for them to say 'no to all' instead of the extra work that would be involved with 'yes to some'..

...shipping wood between states is supposedly also illegal, requiring a separate permit from the USDA.

Actually, has anyone heard of any recent 'busts' for owning exotics?

I was just thinking about it and I haven't heard of anything happening for a few years. I know I was inquired about, but it was many years ago. I'm wondering if the enforcement has relaxed even though the laws haven't been changed.

• 5 months later...

you can get a permit to "keep" exotic beetles by making a tiny public museum xD

i know a guy in seattle who opened up a tiny bug corner museum.. but he moved to CA to retire :(

There's a few valid points, but again it doesn't address entirely selected species to import. I noticed they used a worst case scenario as an example, however what stops them from making exceptions to those who would go through courses perhaps in order to obtain an exotic pet license etc? With all due respect, I believe it may be too much work for the government to want to invest in and they probably don't see it worth while. Other countries have more of an open policy towards such trades and I haven't seen devastating crop losses in Japan for example. Honestly if we had enough people desiring it with petitions etc and a way the government could tax their way into it I see it plausible in allowing pet licenses or something similar to species with less of a threat. Sorry if this sounds oddly worded its late and my brain is scrambling...