I want to talk about the US laws on beetles. Because of the plant protection act, we cannot import or export any plant pests, Correct? I beleive this would include dynastes hercules, allomyrina dichotoma, and Dynastes neptunus? And is it true that non-native dung beetles and carnivirous beetles may be imported? Thanks in advance!

As I understand it - (last I heard anyway) US-native Dung Beetles and any carnivorous beetles are ok to ship between states.

Now, USFW allows things like non-native tarantulas and centipedes to be imported, so I don't think it's too far of a stretch to import non-native Dung and carnivorous beetles. I'm guessing you would have to have a USFW import permit and also pay for each shipment (gets a bit pricey).

Steven

I would surely sign a petition favoring the legalization of importation of any insect that would not harm our agriculture or carry dangerous disease.

Rich S

• 5 months later...

This same problem of legallity exsists in the mantid trade as well but somewere down the line a bunch of illegal species got here, and now you can find them sold openly on the internet even though they are illegal... i believe it boild down to the lack of inforcement on the laws that are on the books... just something i though prevelant to the convs...