Beetle suppliers

Does anyone have a list of sites of reputable sellers of beetle and breeding materials such as substrate and jelly. I am looking more for sites that are based in Japan etc that ship to the US. I know of bugsncyberspace, but I want something different. Please message me and or post of any leads and sites.

Kindom of beetles Taiwan sells beetle jellies at far lower prices but you have to buy a massive case and the shipping costs more than the product. Still, these products are good for years. If you buy through Japan the prices are more comparable to here BEFORE shipping. If you're just looking for jellies you can probably find the ones I use cheap.

I also will recommend KOBTW and Titan Monster Beetle Shop is also good. Those are two of the easiest to find through google searches though.

As Orin mentioned the shipping prices are crazy but even after the fact the final price is still much better than U.S. prices for jelly.

I think Titans prices are a little cheaper but the selection isnt as wide. They only offer banana and brown sugar but the prices for a case of around 370 jellies is only 28 dollars.

Shipping takes forever though. Almost 2-3 months. I ended up paying extra for air mail which got to me in 4-5 days. It was pretty expensive (around $80) but even then it comes out to about 0.30 cents each which is still way better than prices in the U.S.

Here are some other sites than I don't have any experience with but may be worth looking deeper into

http://www.exotic-pet-shop.co.uk/

http://tutugamusi.ocnk.net/

Thanks a lot guys for the input I have actually ordered from titan shop before and love their friendly approach and prices and have heard good things about kobt as well! I just want to know about other shops just in case I missed some kind of hidden gem so to speak online somehow. I would not mind paying extra for air mail as I know it's worth it and patience is a virtue I do not process when it comes to mail. I will look more into other shops and see what they offer. Still crazy savings considering places in the US sell them for $1-2 a piece!

I see the cheapest on ebay is $15 for 24 with shipping from Japan (costs ten times more than the generic fruit jellies) but they do come in a very nice looking bag. All the other offers right now cost as much or more than getting them from someone here and they can get lost in the mail or take forever.

I see the cheapest on ebay is $15 for 24 with shipping from Japan (costs ten times more than the generic fruit jellies) but they do come in a very nice looking bag. All the other offers right now cost as much or more than getting them from someone here and they can get lost in the mail or take forever.

$6 bucks for 24 jellies with about $9 for economy shipping from Japan is look'n mighty tempt'n to me, my friend. :)

Cheers

The other places than KOBT and Titan Monster Beetle shop that I found are great, but they are in Japanese and Chinese. I recommend what Jordan says, it's cheap anyway. $80 to receive it in 4-5 days is worth it instead of waiting several months.

That is if you want a decent supply of beetle jelly at a good price which last a long time. I bought 14 pounds of beetle jellys. I've spent enough money on maple syrup and fruits and beetle jelly is more convenient and nutritious anyway.

• 2 months later...

There are fruit jellies at asian grocery stores made for human consumption. They're pretty much just artificial flavoring, sugar, and gelatin, but they work fine if you're feeding something that won't live very long regardless of the diet you provide. Most beetles only live long enough just to reproduce--they're mainly consuming sugar to fuel themselves for the short time they're adults.

• 2 weeks later...

Asian grocery stores also sell agar-agar, with which you can make your own jellies. I've been using the agar-agar, DI water, brown sugar, and a little bit of molasses or honey to make mine, and all my beetles have been doing realtively well with that. I substitued carrot juice for half the water with my most recent batch, and I will occasionally melt down a couple actual beetle jellies into the mix for species requiring a little extra nutrition.

Is there something else I can add for a nutritional boost? I was going to try lactic acid, and maybe a few sterols once I get more adults, but I would like a way to add protein to the mix.