Beetle recommendations?

Hi everyone :)

I have almost no access to wood, and so I am a bit limited on what beetles I can keep. I would love to keep the larger beetles like Dynastes but I cannot get enough wood for them.

Right now I am mainly keeping Eleodes, and then a few cultures of things like bean weevils, spider beetles, Tenebrio molitor, and a few diabolical ironclads. None of them necessarily need wood that I have seen.

So what beetles would you all recommend I look into? I am wanting to get into some that are possibly a bit bigger than Eleodes, but nothing that requires wood or anything special.

Any ideas?

There are harpalus in my yard, but they seem to only eat crickets which would get rather expensive.

You're breeding mealworms. There are no excuses to be unable to feed predators. Rip the mealies in half if they aren't taking them right away. They will also eat fish food. I've never had a ground beetle refuse fish food.

I have always wanted diving beetles, I caught a bunch while I was camping but they all died shortly after all at the same time for some reason. They wouldn't eat anything I gave them either, at least that I noticed.

Now if I bought some they would probably do well, but if I ever see them for sell they aren't very cheap.

im keeping cybister species. very cool and big beetle. very aggressive and bites my hand all the time. only down side is that they are hard to breed and makes very strong odor when threatened.

Did you go to petco and get a bag of aspen shavings? The longer you wait the longer it will take. Many months are needed to make them useful.

I didn't know petco sold wood shavings, I will have to check that out.

Oh, I never thought about that. Maybe like the wood bedding for hamsters and small animals? Blend it up and let it sit for a while moist/wet and let it decompose a little maybe.

I think I know what you are talking about, hardshell, its by the reptile stuff and its in a big bag. Looks like wood chips that have decomposed a little.