Sign in to follow this  
Schledog

When is a good time to collect lucanus capreolus

So I haven’t been on the website in a while, nor have I been doing really anything involving beetles besides classroom visits but I found an almost dead male Lucanus capreolus and was wondering if nows a good time to look and how should I catch some (bait or light traps or something else?) 

what time of the year was it that you found dead males?  Try go a month or two ahead of that time. In Texas and Louisiana, they seemed to be already out, and probably past the peak flight season.

Bug Guides data says that in Minnesota, they are found in July. I would do light traps or split fallen, dead, decayed logs. 

11 minutes ago, JKim said:

what time of the year was it that you found dead males?  Try go a month or two ahead of that time. In Texas and Louisiana, they seemed to be already out, and probably past the peak flight season.

Where does L. capreolus occur in TX?  In the state's far east, close to LA, perhaps?

9 minutes ago, JKim said:

I found it this morning on my porch.

Edit: he might have came to my porch lights and then died in the night or something 

Yes, they are out now. Check gas station lights, etc or set up your own lights. That's the easiest way to find them. Have fun!

1 hour ago, Goliathus said:

Where does L. capreolus occur in TX?  In the state's far east, close to LA, perhaps?

Yes, it seems it is far eastern side of Texas(still away from state border). I haven't collected it myself, but I have a colleague who has collected multiple males and females.