MEGASOMA PUNCTULATUS MALES

• 2 weeks later...

When looking on the trees, it is generally mainly males. Occasionally you will find a mating pair. But I have found it can be like 20 to 1 in favor of males. The females come to black lights. So try setting up a few black lights. The more the better.

yeah, the females can be tough. There are nights where I can get 50 males but lucky to get 4 females and that's setting up 10 black lights all over the place. Every year is different and of course the timing. A week earlier or later can make a big difference.

I personally have not found larvae but I have never really looked. I have friends who have found larvae. Generally look at the base of the big mesquite trees and look for holes or frass and dig down a few inches. It's hit or miss with lots of misses but there are times my friends have found 10 or more larvae doing this. I don't have the patience, lol.

• 6 months later...
On 8/14/2023 at 6:44 PM, DynastesDee said:

Well, let me know if you have any extra M.sleeperi females available for trade, for sale or for sharing hybrid offspring. A hybrid between the two species could solve the captivity problem with US Megasoma.

I appreciate all your help with teaching me how to find M.punctulatus.

Not sure how most hobbyists would feel about hybrids. If they're clearly identified, like some people who breed goliathus hybrids do, then I guess you could try that.

On 3/13/2024 at 1:22 PM, Ayudrs said:

I heard breeding hybrids is considered taboo 😳

If they're clearly marked it's not so bad. The taboo is mostly selling hybrids as something else or ruining existing lines.