Dicronorhina derbyana And cyclommatus metallifer larvae safe

Jonathan2608

I’m very new to the beetle hobby and I recently bought some larvae. I had to tube ready but I added some seeds which are seedlings at the moment and I don’t know if the roots would be toxic. The substrate is peat moss and the plants consist of crimson clover, baby’s breath, cornflower, calendula, nasturtium, lupine, marigold, butterfly weed, plains coreopsis, cosmos, foxglove, California poppy, Indian blanket, dwarf sunflower, sweet alyssum, Black-eyed Susan, scarlet sage, zinnia(one of those hummingbird seed packs), and two kalanchoe plants. I can make a new enclosure but if there is nothing to worry about I prefer the one I have.

On 9/23/2022 at 10:10 PM, Jonathan2608 said:

So pest moss really doesn’t work. What beetle substrate would you recommend. I ordered 1/2 gallon of flake soil but I want get something bigger. Also where could I find rotten wood. Is there a website that sells it or do most people just collect from a local forest.

Peat moss mixed in won't hurt anything but same as if you mix it in your food. A lot of people grind up dead leaves into a substrate for flower beetles, composts from local garden centers often can work too.

On 9/23/2022 at 10:10 PM, Jonathan2608 said:

So pest moss really doesn’t work. What beetle substrate would you recommend. I ordered 1/2 gallon of flake soil but I want get something bigger. Also where could I find rotten wood. Is there a website that sells it or do most people just collect from a local forest.

if u have metalifer in anything with peat it's gonna die... Just buy more flake soil. People either make or buy flake soil in the US. You can get it off insectbrothers.com, davidsbeetles.com and many other sites. I'm sure your vender will help you with basic larvae care too, but Orin McMonigle also have a very good book detailing beetle care, that helped me start in the hobby.

On 9/24/2022 at 4:50 PM, JunkaiWangisme said:

if u have metalifer in anything with peat it's gonna die... Just buy more flake soil. People either make or buy flake soil in the US. You can get it off insectbrothers.com, davidsbeetles.com and many other sites. I'm sure your vender will help you with basic larvae care too, but Orin McMonigle also have a very good book detailing beetle care, that helped me start in the hobby.

There is flake soul in the peat moss. Both larvae came with two weeks worth of flake soil

• 4 weeks later...