"Bug Fair" Los Angeles Natural History Museum May 21 and 22, 2022

Pleocoma

On 5/22/2022 at 4:19 PM, John7429 said:

I kind of regret going. I'm broke now.

20220521.jpg

Nice collection you got there. From what I saw, the megasomas were pretty expensive 😆

On 5/22/2022 at 6:19 PM, John7429 said:

I kind of regret going. I'm broke now...

That's a nice form of Goliathus orientalis.  G. orientalis is often referred to as "meleagris" in older literature, and this particular form is modernly called "pustulatus", which itself has a wide diversity of pattern variations.  Most specimens come from the Katanga (formerly called Shaba) province of the DRC.  Some examples of G. o. pustulatus have very large spots, while in others, they're tiny (to the extent that the elytra are more black than white).

On 5/22/2022 at 6:52 PM, Goliathus said:

That's a nice form of Goliathus orientalis.  G. orientalis is often referred to as "meleagris" in older literature, and this particular form is modernly called "pustulatus", which itself has a wide diversity of pattern variations.  Most specimens come from the Katanga (formerly called Shaba) province of the DRC.  Some examples of G. o. pustulatus have very large spots, while in others, they're tiny (to the extent that the elytra are more black than white).

Thanks! I purchased the smaller one then found the bigger one 15min later and couldn't resist... sigh

On 5/22/2022 at 9:13 PM, John7429 said:

Thanks! I purchased the smaller one then found the bigger one 15min later and couldn't resist... sigh

I don't think you'll ever regret having purchased these specimens.  With proper care, they'll last indefinitely.  I've certainly spent a lot (probably much more than I should have) on my own collection over the years, but I feel it's been worth it.  I know I'll never personally travel to most of the places these species come from; in some cases, it's just too remote or dangerous to go to.  A friend of mine went collecting in tropical Africa years ago and told me that although it was an amazing trip, camping in the rainforest for days at a time was extremely rough and very stressful.  It was impossible to stay dry because of the excessive humidity, and biting insects like flies and mosquitoes were everywhere.