Pupal cell care

jake7917

I have a Cetonischema speciosa larvae that has recently created a pupal chamber. I have a few questions about them, as this is the first beetle I’ve ever had enter this life stage.

can pupal cells be broken open without harming the pupae? I really want to see the pupae. I’ve heard of people making a floral foam cell, but not sure if this should be done, or if I should leave it in the cell it made.

ive seen people make said floral foam pupal cells, and im not 100% sure what purpose they serve. How does a beetle larvae recognize that it’s no longer in a pupal cell? 

will the beetle emerge form the cell once it’s ready, or do I have to break the cell open?

Any other info I should know about pupal cell care would be appreciated. Thanks.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:15 AM, Ratmosphere said:

You could carefully dig it out. You can compress the substrate and make a makeshift cell on the surface. Floral foam isn't always the answer, though it is a great option.

The beetle will know when it is ready to emerge. 

I managed to isolate the pupal cell, but now it is free from the substrate. Do I have to rebury it or anything like that? or is it safe to sit on the surface of the housing container? Does the cell need to be sprayed with water at all if it is left above the surface?

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/28/2021 at 8:42 PM, jake7917 said:

I have a Cetonischema speciosa larvae that has recently created a pupal chamber. I have a few questions about them, as this is the first beetle I’ve ever had enter this life stage.

can pupal cells be broken open without harming the pupae? I really want to see the pupae. I’ve heard of people making a floral foam cell, but not sure if this should be done, or if I should leave it in the cell it made.

ive seen people make said floral foam pupal cells, and im not 100% sure what purpose they serve. How does a beetle larvae recognize that it’s no longer in a pupal cell? 

will the beetle emerge form the cell once it’s ready, or do I have to break the cell open?

Any other info I should know about pupal cell care would be appreciated. Thanks.

Usually, I never put my pupae in floral foam unless I accidentally break it while digging them up.

The beetles usually know the best about what size their pupal chamber should be so you don’t have to worry.

If you do use floral foam try to make the length almost or slightly larger than the original chamber.

The point of the pupal chamber is to keep the pupae from leaving the spot since they will cannot really feel anything and it serves as a way to conserve moisture I am not completely sure.

I do not believe the larva recognizes the new chambers.

• 1 year later...