Remove flies from flake soil

I found a bunch of little flies in my batch of flake soil. Will they ruin it?

Does baking the soil in the oven remove any of the decaying material or make it inedible for the larvae?

It’s been fermenting for around 3 weeks now, and is starting to darken. Should be finished fermenting soon.

I’m debating whether I should just wait until the flake soil ferments and then just bake it to sanitize, or do something else.

1. It is probably a fungus gnat, and it will ruin your substrate in some time. They do not directly affect your larvae, but they can compete on feeding on your substrate. So if you want to remove then, I would completely remove them. I don't.. Because it takes too much time and effort, so I don't remove them unless their numbers increase way too much.

2. There are many different method to remove fungus gnats, like baking them on low temperature in oven, freeze it for couple days, use microwave and kill them, etc. I used to use microwave and use it for about 3-4 minutes, but some says this way can kill all the microorganisms (which I don't believe any other methods wouldn't). However, microwave it worked the best for me.

3. If it is middle of fermentation, I would wait and do it later, or you will have to start entire thing again.

4. Color of substrate do not mean whether it is about to end or not. Depending on what you added into your substrate for fermentation, and the temperature it reached during fermentation, color can be varied. Color does not mean anything.

On 8/15/2021 at 7:04 PM, JKim said:

1. It is probably a fungus gnat, and it will ruin your substrate in some time. They do not directly affect your larvae, but they can compete on feeding on your substrate. So if you want to remove then, I would completely remove them. I don't.. Because it takes too much time and effort, so I don't remove them unless their numbers increase way too much.

2. There are many different method to remove fungus gnats, like baking them on low temperature in oven, freeze it for couple days, use microwave and kill them, etc. I used to use microwave and use it for about 3-4 minutes, but some says this way can kill all the microorganisms (which I don't believe any other methods wouldn't). However, microwave it worked the best for me.

3. If it is middle of fermentation, I would wait and do it later, or you will have to start entire thing again.

4. Color of substrate do not mean whether it is about to end or not. Depending on what you added into your substrate for fermentation, and the temperature it reached during fermentation, color can be varied. Color does not mean anything.

Definitely fungal gnats. I appreciate all the good information. How does the lack of micro organisms affect the quality/function of the substrate?

On 8/15/2021 at 10:45 PM, jake7917 said:

Definitely fungal gnats. I appreciate all the good information. How does the lack of micro organisms affect the quality/function of the substrate?

Fermentation is basically a reproduction of microorganisms, meaning nutrition for your larvae.

Never had an issue microwaving rotten wood or leaf litter, kills all the nasties and still works great for what you are feeding them to.