Shipping D. hercules larvae

So I am working with someone who is importing an order of insects, and is able to get dynastes hercules morishimai larvae. Someone is shipping to my friend, who is shipping to me after receiving them. My friend isn’t a big beetle keeper, so he doesn’t have access to flake soil.

Are these larvae able to survive being imported on a Monday, being kept in coco fiber once received (or some other mixture that’s easy to acquire), and shipped the following Monday to me? This will be around 1 1/2 weeks without proper flake soil. 

I would suggest your friend to mix only a small amount of coco fiber to already packaged substrate and ship them out as soon as possible. Coco fiber can rarely be a food source for scarab beetles, and is NOT recommended. I saw a lot of beginners thinking coco fiber is same thing as a substrate, but always kill all their beetles and other inverts, and complain about it. A lot of people already proved coco fiber is not a food for scarabs. I would rather have your friend mix some organic potting mix (Miracle-Gro, Scotts, etc.).

On 8/15/2021 at 2:55 PM, Beetlesforlife3 said:

What instar? Also he doesn't have access to rotten wood?

They are just listed as medium larvae. He said he has access to rotting hardwood and will mix that with organic soil.

On 8/15/2021 at 4:30 PM, JKim said:

I would suggest your friend to mix only a small amount of coco fiber to already packaged substrate and ship them out as soon as possible. Coco fiber can rarely be a food source for scarab beetles, and is NOT recommended. I saw a lot of beginners thinking coco fiber is same thing as a substrate, but always kill all their beetles and other inverts, and complain about it. A lot of people already proved coco fiber is not a food for scarabs. I would rather have your friend mix some organic potting mix (Miracle-Gro, Scotts, etc.).

Good information. Thanks man

On 8/15/2021 at 8:04 PM, Ratmosphere said:

If they end up going the potting soil route, make sure to suggest they find some without perlite. 

Figured as much. I told them to get totally organic soil with no additives or anything.