I would love to hear your success in who has bred Eleodes armata

I would love to hear your success story and setup from larva to pupa to beetle of the Eleodes Armata. Does anyone know what the exact temp and humidity level would be for incubation?  My house temp sometimes is not stable, and looking at getting a Hova-bator Incubater for my next group of Larva. Right now I am waiting for 3 to 4 weeks to see my results if I can get my first beetle. I have 12 larva in waiting.  I feel like a mother hen.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. It has been 2 weeks now with my Eleodes Armata larva. I made the mistake in placing most of them in non-clear disposable insulated coffee cups, but I had maybe 6 that are in clear jewelry containers with holes poked in the lid. Tonight I lifted one of those containers up, and I can see on the bottom a pupa.  Yeah! super excited. I am guessing 1 to 2 more weeks. I believe it takes 3 to 4 weeks to go from Pupa to Beetle. Correct me if I am wrong.  Do you suggest I put something in the container for them to climb on when they come up to the surface in a week or two?  My house temp is 70 to 73, 62% humidity. Larva are in a 60% sand 40% lightly moist cocofiber.  They are placed in the dark closet.  Also, when I put the larva in the containers, I placed no food. And I am trying a variety of sand mixtures, containers, and cocofiber dryness and moistness. I'll keep you up to date as time goes on.

• 4 weeks later...

Success, 5 weeks later I just had an Armata Desert Beetle emerge from pupation.  I had about 14 containers, 3 larvae died, and not sure about the rest so far.  But super happy. The one that did emerge had substrate of sand and cocofiber, and in a container that held a touch of moisture to make sure the substrate did not collapse. All kept in the dark and about 72 or 73 degrees. The new beetle had so much energy.  I am going to keep this one and others in a separate container and keep track of life span, and try to breed just from them.  I will try to make a video of my experience to share.

• 2 weeks later...

I also managed to cb E. armata! I also managed to do it without the heat? Maybe my house is hot idk, I’ll try to do it again because I have a ton of larvae growing.

4775E93D-3E3B-46FE-88AB-AD5DAA38752A.jpeg

8CC8B24C-08B0-4EE8-9AFF-524A09E2059B.jpeg

Also just checked the tank and found that another one has already emerged unintentionally. (One in the middle)

EB868EDB-616D-4AB1-B433-5E2C29B416DD.jpeg

That is awesome. I had a total of 7 E. Armatas from 12 larvae.  I found that they do better in about 3 to 4 inches of lightly moist sand/cocofiber mix. On average it took 6 weeks from when I placed them in isolation cups. The reason I do this, is I noticed when I had 2 or more larvae in a cup, they will eat each other when one tries to go into the pupae stage.  It sure is rewarding to have success.   I received my original E. Armatas from 2 different sources. I noticed on some that they have a spike on there legs, and some don't. Is that common, or is that 2 different species?  Thank you.

beetle.jpg

14 hours ago, lionant said:

That is awesome. I had a total of 7 E. Armatas from 12 larvae.  I found that they do better in about 3 to 4 inches of lightly moist sand/cocofiber mix. On average it took 6 weeks from when I placed them in isolation cups. The reason I do this, is I noticed when I had 2 or more larvae in a cup, they will eat each other when one tries to go into the pupae stage.  It sure is rewarding to have success.   I received my original E. Armatas from 2 different sources. I noticed on some that they have a spike on there legs, and some don't. Is that common, or is that 2 different species?  Thank you.

beetle.jpg

If it doesn’t have spikes its not armata. Probably some other Elodes or darkling.

How would you tell a male and female apart of the E. Armatas.   And thank you for letting me know. I think my other ones are Elodes, and the Elodes seem to be mating with the E. Armatas. Not sure if anything happens for breeding. I am really surprised on how big the E. Armatas get. As long as I don't provoke them to shoot a smell at me, they are ok.