Californian beetle

As far as local stuff, within an hour, the only thing I can think of is the Rugose stag beetle in the San Gabriel mountains. Cotinis mutabilis is quite common throughout southern California. I can't think of anything else that would be close to you. If you could drive to AZ, there is tons of stuff there and its just a days drive. About 4 hours south of you is the Imperial sand dunes which has Megasoma sleeperi. 

You do have lots of rain beetles near you (Pleocoma). Those are really cool beetles that come out in fall/winter during or after heavy rains. There is great location for them right near Irvine. Maybe I'm forgetting something and some of the other locals here can think of other stuff.

22 hours ago, Garin said:

As far as local stuff, within an hour, the only thing I can think of is the Rugose stag beetle in the San Gabriel mountains. Cotinis mutabilis is quite common throughout southern California. I can't think of anything else that would be close to you. If you could drive to AZ, there is tons of stuff there and its just a days drive. About 4 hours south of you is the Imperial sand dunes which has Megasoma sleeperi. 

You do have lots of rain beetles near you (Pleocoma). Those are really cool beetles that come out in fall/winter during or after heavy rains. There is great location for them right near Irvine. Maybe I'm forgetting something and some of the other locals here can think of other stuff.

Do you know if there is a certain location at the Imperial sand dunes to have the best chance of finding Megasoma sleeperi? Also, is there a certain time of year for them? Thanks

On 8/19/2020 at 10:21 AM, Ficusfarmer said:

Do you know if there is a certain location at the Imperial sand dunes to have the best chance of finding Megasoma sleeperi? Also, is there a certain time of year for them? Thanks

I hate to be a wet blanket but that's information a select few people keep secret as of now. Localities are usually not shared, especially publicly, and doubly so with a rare species with a restricted range like M. sleeperi. Though I don't want to discourage trial and error, all I can say is that they're very rare and few and far between, and not even I know of place to sustainably source these. It's better to keep stuff like this secret so someone doesn't come along and drive the population to extinction.

8 hours ago, Dragozap said:

I hate to be a wet blanket but that's information a select few people keep secret as of now. Localities are usually not shared, especially publicly, and doubly so with a rare species with a restricted range like M. sleeperi. Though I don't want to discourage trial and error, all I can say is that they're very rare and few and far between, and not even I know of place to sustainably source these. It's better to keep stuff like this secret so someone doesn't come along and drive the population to extinction.

understandable, thanks for the info