Found some larvae, possibly stag beetle?

Elliot

Yes, it is stag beetles, and the adult beetle on your hand is Ceruchus piceus. There are many more smaller species of Lucanidae even in the United States. We have A LOT of species.

Ceruchus piceus is not a rare species, it is quite an abundant species in areas where they occur.

We have Lucanus elaphus and Dynastes, Megasoma species available in the United States, and quite number of people are keeping illegal species, not native to the States. Not many knows or have an experience of domestic species of all kinds (reason 1: rare, difficult to collect in one region, reason 2: not visually appealing in size, color, shape. etc.). If you are interested in your own collections, then I think it is a great opportunity to know them. It barely takes any space to rear them. I reared Platycerus virescens in 50ml centrifuge tubes. I don't know whether adult females require rotten logs to lay eggs, but they probably do so.

I might have friends who might be interested in those species, if you are willing to trade.

27 minutes ago, JKim said:

Ceruchus piceus is not a rare species, it is quite an abundant species in areas where they occur.

We have Lucanus elaphus and Dynastes, Megasoma species available in the United States, and quite number of people are keeping illegal species, not native to the States. Not many knows or have an experience of domestic species of all kinds (reason 1: rare, difficult to collect in one region, reason 2: not visually appealing in size, color, shape. etc.). If you are interested in your own collections, then I think it is a great opportunity to know them. It barely takes any space to rear them. I reared Platycerus virescens in 50ml centrifuge tubes. I don't know whether adult females require rotten logs to lay eggs, but they probably do so.

I might have friends who might be interested in those species, if you are willing to trade.

I am more than willing to trade. I currently have the larvae and a freshly emerged male and female.

Let me know! thanks

• 6 months later...