Several new (new to me, at least) cultivars of Buddleia davidii that I've started working with this year - a standard-sized pale blue, standard-sized fuchsia, and a dwarf amethyst variety.

Buddleia_01.jpg

Buddleia_02.jpg

Buddleia_03.jpg

1 hour ago, davehuth said:

Dang those are great. Do you expect them to bring in some nice flower beetles and swallowtails?

They're already attracting butterflies more strongly than anything else I've seen - especially many Nymphalidae, such as Vanessa atalanta.  Monarchs and swallowtails, too.  Also - various click beetles, the flower scarab Euphoria sepulcralis, and was surprised to see a buprestid of the genus Chrysobothris (which I wasn't aware came to flowers).

Those little scarabs look really cool. Are the Chrysobothris you’re seeing the metallic ones?

Here in NY we,re still about a week away from the first spring blooms to atttract many pollinators apart from bees. I’ve cultivated a sizable patch of wild mustard that looks like it’s getting ready to pop. That’s typically when I start seeing the first butterflies. 

2 minutes ago, davehuth said:

Those little scarabs look really cool. Are the Chrysobothris you’re seeing the metallic ones?

Here in NY we,re still about a week away from the first spring blooms to atttract many pollinators apart from bees. I’ve cultivated a sizable patch of wild mustard that looks like it’s getting ready to pop. That’s typically when I start seeing the first butterflies. 

I think the Chrysobothris might be C. femorata.

I planted a lot of Anethum (dill) and Petroselinum (parsley) this year as food plants for Papilio polyxenes (Black swallowtail).

2 hours ago, Ratmosphere said:

Bet they smell real nice. 

Yes - they do give off a very noticeable smell, similar to lilac (Syringa spp.).  Undoubtedly, this is why they attract butterflies so strongly.

Some more photos of my dwarf Buddleia (cultivar ID: Buddleia x 'SMNBDL' ppaf), which is starting to flower more now.  Interestingly, although it's currently my smallest plant, it has the largest blooms.

Buddleia_04.jpg

Buddleia_05.jpg

Another of my Buddleia bushes is starting to flower - this one is an old cultivar (Black Knight) that's been popular for decades, and has one of the darkest colours among the 200+ varieties that have been produced.

Buddleia_06.jpg

• 1 year later...

My Buddleia davidii have now had a full year to acclimate following transplant to the ground, and are really gaining size now.  The first to start blooming this year is cultivar 'PIIBD-II' PPAF (Psychedelic Sky).  Photos attached.  The flower spikes can reach 8" to 10" long in this cultivar.  Monarchs and various smaller butterflies are already coming to it, and I expect that Tiger Swallowtails, Giant Swallowtails, etc. will start showing up in the coming weeks.

BB79875756.jpg

BC1C1FE91E.jpg

DB5FAC81E1.jpg

• 4 months later...