Best beginner beetle?

Beetlelover

Hi,

I have been wanting to get a pet bug for a while now, and have narrowed my choices down to millipedes and beetles. I am pretty sure that I am going to go with beetles. I have zero experience, so I would like something that is easy to care for, low maintenence, and low cost. Would Darkling beetles be a good choice? Are there any other good choices? Stag beetles look awesome, but I am not sure if those are a good choice for a beginner or not?

Thanks in advance

Beetlelover

Well... contrary to popular belief... stag beetles ARE a good place to start :). I'm only one step above a beginner, and I'm breeding many species now :o... It all started with the Lucanus elaphus... easy to raise... :). Now... some mistakes could happen... happened to me in 2011 :(. All you need to do is keep the substrate right :o...

I really like the darkling beetles I got for my son and they are very easy to care for. As of yet they have not had any mealworms but it is a community tank so they may not. I like them because the are active, cute, and don't smell. They also come in so many diffrent sizes and shapes. They are very cool bugs.

I would also suggest Darklings, which would include Eleodes, death feigning beetles, and other relatives.

Ironclads are very easy to care for, except for some reason mine cannot site up straight or walk correctly.

There are tons of easy to keep beetles. What sorts of things are you looking for in one?

Here is a link to our favorite bug store, Bugs in cyberspace (owned by Peter, a admin on this site)

http://www.bugsincyberspace.com/