Hardwood Stump Borer Beetle?

Inle

My 3-year-old found these guys under the peeling bark of a post oak tree in Austin, Texas. One is dead, one is very much alive. I think they are Hardwood Stump Boar Beetles. They are about 2 inches long, brown and have big painful looking jaws on their somewhat scary looking faces. We also found some hatched eggs on the back of some of the peeled bark. I wish I had a better camera, but this is the best I can do for now.

I'm having trouble uploading photos so here is my flicker stream where they are posted.

Hardwood Stump Boar(?)

We also found an wheel bug nymph this morning. We were looking for more beetles to add to our aquarium but these ones are cool too. We are going to let them go this evening where we found them so they can continue their buggy lives.

She was quite active last night attacking a piece of grass in her bug keeper. I got to see those mandibles in action and I'm glad that I told my kids not to touch her. We let them all go this morning and came back empty handed.