Lucanus elaphus

Lucanus

Quite the major you've got there.

Stags are not necessarily my cup of tea, but that's only due to my lack of availability in hardwood. Still I would love to try my hand at them some day.

Thant's unfortunate. I hope you can acquire some nice species :D

Didn't you collect like 50 larvae this year?

Like 30 maybe. Now I have to wait quite a bit. I still find them often though. I am planning on getting about 100 (of Platycerus, Lucanus, and DORCUS!) So yeah... I just need to be patient for the results to show. Oh... and I have had success raising some in mesh top containers. I know they don't require ventilation and this method isn't great for the humidity levels but it is working well for me. I mist the substrate often so it is working GREAT! The larvae are growing FAST. Faster then the ones in airtight containers actually... which confuses me.

Like 30 maybe. Now I have to wait quite a bit. I still find them often though. I am planning on getting about 100 (of Platycerus, Lucanus, and DORCUS!) So yeah... I just need to be patient for the results to show. Oh... and I have had success raising some in mesh top containers. I know they don't require ventilation and this method isn't great for the humidity levels but it is working well for me. I mist the substrate often so it is working GREAT! The larvae are growing FAST. Faster then the ones in airtight containers actually... which confuses me.

Who says they don't require ventilation? They aren't some kind of anarobic bacteria. They surely do need oxygen so if you are really keeping them in the airtight container, than they will suffocate to death.

Actually a lot of breeders use non-ventilated containers. Some who have raised many large beetles. They don't require much ventilation because you find them pretty deep in rotten logs sometimes.I sucessfully raised a few platycerus in non-ventilated containers... Now dont get me wrong these are not "sealed containers"... I merely mean ones without mesh/cross ventilation. Isnt that fine?

And I dont see much of a reason in downsizing because there are HUNDREDS near me (but I hardly ever find the adults?!!!). I have found D. Brevis though. Platycerus as well.

Actually a lot of breeders use non-ventilated containers. Some who have raised many large beetles. They don't require much ventilation because you find them pretty deep in rotten logs sometimes.I sucessfully raised a few platycerus in non-ventilated containers... Now dont get me wrong these are not "sealed containers"... I merely mean ones without mesh/cross ventilation. Isnt that fine?

And I dont see much of a reason in downsizing because there are HUNDREDS near me (but I hardly ever find the adults?!!!). I have found D. Brevis though. Platycerus as well.

Sorry for misunderstanding. I thought that you were keeping the larvae in a completely sealed container. However, I do see problems with your enclosure that i saw on your facebook. Too many larvae in small area can be fatal sometimes.

I don't keep them in the same container. I did take pics of them together but I keep 1 in each right now. I used to do like 2 or 3 but it didn't go well. I am trying to improve my methods over time but yeah... I plan on taking pics of the NEW setup. And wait.,.. Fb? What is your name on there? Hahaha!

Having more than 3 for me didn't go well (in one container). I literally have them decided completely. It was a lot of work but worth it. Illshow images of the new setup. Warning though... It is crazy! Hahaha!