Dorcus brevis

Ryan Minard

Dorcus brevis, the rare lesser stag beetle of the Eastern United States. It is very similar to Dorcus parellelus but there are some slight differences. I only have minor males, so no major male pictures YET! I'm sorry! I hope to aqquire some majors soon though.

All specimens 16-20mm.

Excuse the bad pictures.

DSCF0092.JPG

DSCF0090.JPG

DSCF0096.JPG

DSCF0105.JPG

DSCF0094.JPG

DSCF0096-1.JPG

This is possibly (and probably) the rarest stag in the US. There is no one. I hope to soon be breeding them, as I used to not breed (when I had these). Wish me luck. I have some larvae I'm hoping to have success with.

Do you know of people culturing this species? Small stags are still nice beetles, I'm going to be trying my hand at keeping S. rugosum this coming season, those are also very small, but an attractive species nonetheless.

I've seen some people breeding D. parallelus which is relative to D. brevis.

It seems that D. parallelus are easy species to breed so I believe that D. brevis are also easy to breed as well.

It means that one could get money or cool trades for it.

If you are the person that only thinks about getting profet by beetles, than I suggest you to clear up your mind.

Beetles are living organisms. They have lives just like we do. So I believe that it is unjust to use beetles to gain your profit. It should be the beetle that must gain profit from you instead of you gaining profit from the beetles. If you are a true compassion to them, than you shouldn't be discussing about the "profit" or anything like that. I hope that you are not the kind of person that keeps beetles for you own profit.

Excuse me but please don't make asumptions after hearing a few words. I have been collecting insects since the age of 6 (10 going on 11 years of collecting). The reason why I speak of profit is I need money to maintain the hobby. Making money also helps me acquire more species. Why not make money on the side? If I was to successfully raise D. brevis in large numbers then I'd definately sell a few so I could get more supplies and larvae.

Is there something wrong with that?

Excuse me but please don't make asumptions after hearing a few words. I have been collecting insects since the age of 6 (10 going on 11 years of collecting). The reason why I speak of profit is I need money to maintain the hobby. Making money also helps me acquire more species. Why not make money on the side? If I was to successfully raise D. brevis in large numbers then I'd definately sell a few so I could get more supplies and larvae.

Is there something wrong with that?

I am glad that you are not the kind of person that tries to benefit from beetles.