Origami Dynastes tityus

Phil Kuhns

Check these out!:D I desinged and folded this origami beetle from a single, un-cut square of paper! The paper was colored black on one side and yellow on the other so I designed it to expose the black on the legs and head, just like the real thing! I know it doesnt have spots, but I would have had to paint it for that. What do you think?

I also included the crease pattern for the beetle! This is as close as I can get to showing you diagrams or a manual. I fold the paper based on the lines on the crease pattern. Black lines represent vally folds and white lines represent mountain folds. The red lines were where I reversed the paper to show the black underside.

That's very nice. I picked up an origami book recently with very intricate designs for different bugs but my wife or children put it somewhere? The book covers bugs only and I imagine the easiest one would take an hour.

Check these out!:D I desinged and folded this origami beetle from a single, un-cut square of paper! The paper was colored black on one side and yellow on the other so I designed it to expose the black on the legs and head, just like the real thing! I know it doesnt have spots, but I would have had to paint it for that. What do you think?

Phil, How many hours it took from planing to completion.

Very nice Dynastes, can you post its folding manual? B)

This is one of the most amazing feats of bug-inspired creativity I've ever seen, and I think I've seen a lot! Astounding what people can accomplish if they set out. Meanwhile, 99.99% of people didn't miss that last baseball game or were busy walking the dog or doing something else completely mundane and repetitive. And I thought the air-conditioning repair man, who looked me squarely and sincerely in the eye as he told me that he has a relationship with the spiders in his yard, to the point where they take their webs down each day as he passes through on his typical schedule, was going to be the most amazing bug thing I experienced all day, and then there was this!

• 2 months later...