Help Bring Back Local Skatepark

Ratmosphere

Trying to get my town to bring back my local skatepark. Support so far has been incredible from my peers. Contacted the mayor, alderman of my ward, and even Tony Hawk's "The Skatepark Project" to try and get something going. If you can sign the petition it would be greatly appreciated. 

https://chng.it/wKbVLnjG

• 3 weeks later...

Meeting with the mayor, director of parks and rec and both their assistants tomorrow. I'm shook!

Have everything prepared and am going with my friend who is a long time skater (best in town) and his friend which is a professional ramp builder. 

On 5/19/2022 at 1:18 PM, Ratmosphere said:

Yeah... I clicked the link. That's how I knew the name of the park. My question was because nowhere in the petition does it give the physical location. I was just curious.... As mentioned, I tried searching.

On 5/23/2022 at 4:55 AM, Ratmosphere said:

Shelton, CT.

Cool. Good luck! I signed the petition. lol

Thank you KING. 

Had a meeting with the mayor and parks and rec director, went better than I imagined it to. Mayor is super cool and agreed that our town does need a skatepark. We all thought of some potential locations where it could be built, then went to check them out after the meeting. We followed the parks and rec director to the spots. He was super helpful with information regarding what would have to happen to get the park going. Just need to get approval for the land and figure out the towns budget. 

That's great! 

I work for a commercial GC as a PM and we build parks (very large) all the time. I haven't done a skate park yet but I've done a couple dog parks within one I did a couple years ago. haha

https://greatparkneighborhoods.com/neighborhoods/novel-park

• 4 months later...

If anyone cares, I have a few updates.

For the past few months I have been leading efforts in bringing back my local skatepark. I started with a petition which gained 783 signatures and contacted the local newspaper on the topic. They covered the story and the support from the community has been a blessing. My friend and fellow skateboarder joined the cause as well as  Rampage Skateparks. After reaching out to the director of parks and rec, alderman of my ward, and the mayor, we were invited to a meeting to present the topic. The support from everyone was overwhelming and they agreed that the town would benefit from having a skatepark. We also visited and discussed potential locations with the director of parks and rec.

Fast forward to now and we are waiting on grants to be approved. The local newspaper reached out to me and said the topic has been brought up in the town meetings and asked for my comments on it. I was going to hold my tongue until the end of the process but I feel now is the best time for updates. This is a huge step and I never thought this would progress in such a short time frame.

We are waiting on grant approval still and are hopeful that it will go through. The design process is almost done and if everything goes to plan, they start building in spring 2023. 

Well, may have spoke too soon hahaha.

Got an email from parks and rec that the grant was denied. We are looking to put it on the next round of grants. If that does not work, we will have to figure out other fundraising options.

This surprised all of us: mayor, mayors assistant, parks and rec director. They were all 90% sure it was going to go through.

NEVER will give up on this project, it will somehow get done.