Drying flake soil?

Since flake soil only lasts about 6 months, I’m looking to make a large batch of flake soil to store over winter, as in Canada winters are around 8 months of freezing temps before it becomes nice.

I know you can dry the soil out to store it, but it doesn’t seem to be the most convenient thing. I don’t want to lay it outside in the sun and have it be swarmed by critters and ants and such. Laying it on my floor to dry isn’t really an option either as I have cats that will use the soil as a litter box xD

So I’m wondering, is there any other way to conveniently dry out flake soil? Or at least make it last a bit longer? Does any one have any tips? I could probably manage it drying out on my floor but that isn’t ideal. Looking for advice on this.

On 8/13/2021 at 6:57 PM, jake7917 said:

Since flake soil only lasts about 6 months, I’m looking to make a large batch of flake soil to store over winter, as in Canada winters are around 8 months of freezing temps before it becomes nice.

I know you can dry the soil out to store it, but it doesn’t seem to be the most convenient thing. I don’t want to lay it outside in the sun and have it be swarmed by critters and ants and such. Laying it on my floor to dry isn’t really an option either as I have cats that will use the soil as a litter box xD

So I’m wondering, is there any other way to conveniently dry out flake soil? Or at least make it last a bit longer? Does any one have any tips? I could probably manage it drying out on my floor but that isn’t ideal. Looking for advice on this.

I used to lay it out on backyard porch, and just leave them be until it dries out quite a bit. OR what you can do is to store it in freezer.
If none of these work for you, an alternative option is to just store it in a bag or a container with filter (for ventilation), and mix it up every once in a while to keep it in good condition.

I never really stored my substrate for such a long time like half an year, but never heard of anything like "6 months." As long as your substrate kept in good care, it should last quite a while, longer than 6 months...

On 8/13/2021 at 6:58 PM, JKim said:

I used to lay it out on backyard porch, and just leave them be until it dries out quite a bit. OR what you can do is to store it in freezer.
If none of these work for you, an alternative option is to just store it in a bag or a container with filter (for ventilation), and mix it up every once in a while to keep it in good condition.

I never really stored my substrate for such a long time like half an year, but never heard of anything like "6 months." As long as your substrate kept in good care, it should last quite a while, longer than 6 months...

Thanks for your reply. I want to rear dynastes hercules and have heard to replace the soil every 6 months. Will it last longer than that even with larvae feeding?

On 8/13/2021 at 8:04 PM, jake7917 said:

Thanks for your reply. I want to rear dynastes hercules and have heard to replace the soil every 6 months. Will it last longer than that even with larvae feeding?

If you are keeping Dynastes hercules, you probably have to replace (or more like adding more) substrate monthly, not in 6 months since they feed on a lot of substrate very quickly!!

On 8/14/2021 at 7:20 AM, Ratmosphere said:

Jake, you’re gonna need a LOT of sub to raise Dynastes hercules hercules larvae!

I was thinking of fermenting around 80 pounds of sawdust for 6 L1-L2 larvae. And more once winter is over.