phanaeus vindex - dormant/cool period?

I unexpectedly had some of my phanaeus vindex emerge, which seems a bit odd to me.

Would you expect beetles that emerge in the fall to be dormant until spring? These are F1 CB, I got my original adults from BIC. So I would think their timing would be natural.

They seem active now, but has anyone heard of giving them a cool period (like Dynastes tityus) until spring? 

My dung supply (tortoise) slows down in the winter also so probably won't produce enough for breeding, and I've not found them to use other sources (dog, human) for brood ball construction unless forced to.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:36 PM, scottbot84 said:

Where do you keep your beetles? Probably Indoor, right? They wouldn't know whether it is spring, summer, fall, or winter because the temperature is pretty stable throughout the year inside your place. If you keep the enclosure rather cold, they will be inactive until warmth comes back, but if you keep them warm, they will very likely start feed and be active right away. By the way, I don't think D. tityus really require "cool period," as this species aren't really sensitive to all that.

How much (as in amount) tortoise feces do you have to provide to Phanaeus vindex? Do you have a large adult size tortoises? or babies? very curious!

That's good to know. I'm giving them a cool period at the moment (55F) and they seem to bee feeding on jellies and are otherwise doing fine. I may offer them waste just to be certain they are getting the nutrition they need, but it's very much touch and go.

I have a large Burmese Star tortoise that is full grown and weighs about 14lbs, along with 2 juvenile males. I initially started with ~7 beetles somewhat evenly mixed in gender. Basically I offered them waste whenever I had it, usually 2-3 times a week or so. if it was unaccepted I removed it after a day or two. During late spring and mid summer that was about on pace with what they appeared to be consuming, later in the year 1x a week or so seemed to be sufficient. 

By the end of the season I ended up with around 20-30 brood balls, not sure how many are viable. I used a tote that was about 10 gallons in size with mixed soil and checked for balls every 2-3 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...