Calosoma breeding

I collected 8 Calosoma scrutator from NC. I have them in a 5 gallon with sandy sub for 4 inches and cat food. How do I get them to lay eggs etc. I never dealt with carabids before so I have no clue what to do with them.

By the way, how do I get Elodes to lay. I got a bunch collecting in Tx and have observed mating, but now I don't know what to do with them.

Different Eleodes species have their own quirks, and some are easier than others. 

My basic arid Eleodes breeding setup is deep substrate (4 to 7 inches, depending on the size of the group and enclosure) of 50/50 sand/cocofiber, with a handful of decaying leaves and wood bits mixed in. 

A vertical humidity gradient is usually helpful. Lately I’ve been experimenting with a layer of packed damp cocofiber at the very bottom of the enclosure. 

this is a starting point for me and I tweak conditions as I learn new things about whatever I’m trying to keep. 

16 hours ago, JunkaiWangisme said:

By the way, how do I get Elodes to lay. I got a bunch collecting in Tx and have observed mating, but now I don't know what to do with them.

All depends on the species, most are pretty easy, but a few have their quirks. I wrote a caresheet on them here