California Cetoniinae

Ometeo

Hello,

This is likely C. mutabilis

They were collected near Santa Clarita as grubs by a fellow hobbyist.

Of a group of ~30, I was only successful in obtaining four pupae (dang learning curve).

The pupae have been under supervision in order to document their progress, however, I was advice not to disturb them often so as to avoid even more fatalities.

The pupae measure in the range of 20-25mm in length from head to abdomen, and are very close to eclosion.

IMG_8676.JPG

They look like jewels that stick through the dirt.

You can clearly see the claws fully formed inside, and the fact that the pupal skin is already wrinkled tell me that they are within days of eclosing.

Let's hope to see them soon.

OM

This particular beetle was unable to break pupal skin. It unfortunately died.

Thrhee others have eclosed, one with wings hanging out of the body and unable to bring them back in, possibly a male when compared in size to the other two.

One female seemed to eclose properly, minus one leg which seemed to be stuck to pupal skin.

The other female is yet to exit her cell.

I'll upload pidtures later in the day.

OM

• 4 weeks later...

got eggs, and now, L1's.

The one female that survived had mangled wings (I know it's a female 'cause I saw it mating), now, I also introduced WC's into the tank, can't say if the eggs came from the captive raised or the WC's, but most likely one of the WC's deposited those eggs.

Either way, they are L1's now, hatched a couple of days ago.

• 4 months later...

great shots,i am currently raising 16 of these in various stages,i am hoping to end up with at least one...lol

congrats on success..

andy

that's a cool beetle! I can't wait for spring to return so I can catch the Connecticut wild beetles. I wonder if I can catch a tiger beetle.

• 4 months later...

These turned out to be great, parents are long gone but gave me about 15 viable larvae that are beginning to eclose at this time of the year, a couple have already come out (though seemed somewhat small), can't wait to see them together, and hopefully breeding out a second generation.